Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Configuring Fm Server on Xserve running OS X Server 10.4.9

This topic is 6170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need help configuring FM Server 8 to host databases on my Xserve. I'm using the xserve as a file server in an office of approx. 10 computers. The Xserve has a system hard drive and a 2 drive RAID 1. Our company data is stored on the RAID for back-up reasons. FM Server is installed on the system hard drive, but I would like to store the hosted databases on the RAID. I've created a database folder on the RAID and set it as the alternate directory in FM Server Admin. How do I correctly set the permissions for this folder and database files in Workgroup Manager, so that they can be accessed from the client machines? The documentation that came with the software does not exlpain OS X Server set-up very well, IMO. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Guest

[color:red]You are headed for trouble. This is so far out of spec as to be frightening.

Do not run FMS on the same server as is functioning as a file server.

Are you running RAID 0? That's likely not appropriate for a database server. Are you yusing software RAID instead of a hardware RAID controller? Is Spotlightenabled? have you tweaked the Server? What type of drives are in that x_Server, SATA or SAS?

Please take a look at the Server White Paper from the FileMaker Web site here:

Server Tech Brief

Steven

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bill,

If you really meant to have the client machines opening the fm database files via AFP, then you are in for a world of hurt, as steven says. Clients must ONLY open the database via the filemaker fmnet protocol (e.g. FileMaker's "Open Remote..." command) and in general, you should make sure that none of the clients can see the actual database files via file sharing. If they, can then one day one of them will double-click the .fp7 file to open it, and things may work for a while, but then your database file will be irretrievably corrupted.

You should have no trouble putting the filemaker databases on the raid (just set the folder permissions to R+W for group 'fmsadmin'), and FileMaker server should allow you to put the database files there. No matter what type of RAID you are using, you absolutely must have a comprehensive backup strategy in addition that keeps historical snapshots. You must NOT back up files in use, as well.

If it helps I have a FileMaker Server deployed running on a G5 OS X Server (Running SoftRAID) as can't justify an Xserve, that servers out Mail, AFS and VPN Services, I do use ACL's to limit access down to only users and strictly no guest access anywhere, Also I have one folder shared out as a SharePoint via ACL's not the root drive.

Its been fine for the last 2/3 years, only issues I can see if you share out the databases or access them directly.

Or if something else falls over on the server that will take down your FMS etc etc.

TBH yes it is bad practice but cost is a weighing factor, but then a Mac Mini (Intel) is fine for FMS I use these on clients sites for just FMS.

Also If your planning HTTP access to the server for FTP/SFTP/HTTP/HTTPS etc etc then steer well away from having FMS on the same server.

These services are the most common form of services utilized by hackers and viruses etc.

Having your FM Database on a server that is open to the big wide world for other purposes other than to access itself is really asking for trouble, especially as that access would normally be from unknown sources and users.

It comes down to best practice you either can afford financially to follow it or not, if its your own choice then personally I would recommend separate servers but that isn't always possible.

Especially if your having to justify the cost to someone else or even your own bank roll.

How important is your data? you can never be to safe or security paranoid.

But on the flip side servers were designed to serve.

OS X Server itself ships with the ability to serve/host a multitude of services that people will argue are best left to dedicated servers but theres nothing to stop you from doing so from one machine as long as you fully understand both sides of the argument and the possible problems encountered by doing so.

The reason these services ship together is purely for convenience not because you can.

I wouldn't run a Web Server on the same server as my Mail or File Server but then thats because web serving gets me paranoid.

But if it was internal and I could control its access to only the people I wanted then why not?

I guess what I am saying is for a moment ignore the papers and manuals and take considerable time to study and fully understand you EXACT requirements and how they are likely to change/increase in the future.

Then understand what you can do.

Then understand what you should do.

Then understand what you shouldn't do.

From that you can make a better decission as to what you are going to do and how.

But always understand the alternatives to you and whether they are better and achievable. If so ask yourself why you aren't doing them.

Remember people say things for a reason and its all experience in my mind, but thats not always going to help you if you CAN'T do it.

Hope my little blah blah blab helps/

hehe

Edited by Guest

[color:red]A reminder. Do not host FileMaker Pro files with FileMaker Server using software RAID. Use hardware RAID controllers only. The software ones, as per the SE's, interefere with the read/write of FMS between cache and drive.

Steven

Hi Steven,

Could you elaborate on the R/W issue?

I.E is it purely a performance issue or a data integrity issue?

Also does this mean the Databases on a RAID volume or FMS in general?

I was under the impression it was a performance issue when drives were mirrored because the software had to process the duplication process over two or more volumes.

I did check with FM and SoftRAID regarding this as Hardware RAID cards are very expensive, I know that Apples own RAID software isn't supposed to up to much but SoftRAID comes in highly recommended around the way.

Software RAID controllers can interfer with the ability of FMS to read and write data between disk and cache.

There is no hardware RAID option for the Intel x-Serve or the PPC one either for that matter.

If you want to run RAID 5 or RAID 10 you probably want to do it on Windows Server 2003.

Steven

This topic is 6170 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.