Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filtering a portal

timhook

This topic is 8316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I Have a Tool Maintenance database, that I have constructed from two files. (Header & Detail). Is there any way I can view a filtered list of the detail file (Sames as Excel) when I bring up a tool number (ie Header Info). Ie I only wish to see all the work done by a specific person in the portal not all the people.

Hope it makes sense. Any help appreciated.

quote:

Originally posted by timoo:

I Have a Tool Maintenance database, that I have constructed from two files. (Header & Detail). Is there any way I can view a filtered list of the detail file (Sames as Excel) when I bring up a tool number (ie Header Info). Ie I only wish to see all the work done by a specific person in the portal not all the people.

Filtered portals can be easy or complex depending upon the number of variables. Think of a traditional portal as a filtered list with one variable.

So if you only want to selected a single variable, then it is just your standard relationship based on some global field.

For instance: gToolNumber::Tool Number

For filters with more than one variable I generally use global fields in my view file (the left side of the relationship) to define the filter and then a calculated field to complete the relationships. For instance:

cFilterCalc_global = gToolNumber & "-" & gUser & "-" & gDate

Then in the other file (the right side of the relationship) I have a calculated field cFilterCalc = ToolNumber & "-" & User & "-" & Date.

The relationship is simply: cFilterCalc_global::cFilterCalc

From ther you can go crazy with all kinds of options, such as being able to enter only 1 or 2 of the criteria, or being able to enter only the first few characters and have the portal filter as you type, and so on.

These are significiently more complex however and will drive you batty without the proper planning.

This topic is 8316 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.