The Update Achieved??

This topic is 6121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure I completely understand the question. The new external sql source (ESS) was really "designed as a means to better integrate a FileMaker Pro solution with existing SQL data sources."

FileMaker has been very vocal in stating that ESS is not to be used as a front end. "The emphasis with ESS should be on integration. The ESS feature set is not intended to allow FileMaker Pro to act as a "front end" to SQL data sources"

A link to their ESS tech brief: http://www.filemaker.com/downloads/pdf/public_techbrief_ess_en.pdf

I really didn't understand what you were asking, so hopefully explaining what the feature is will help.

Ok look at it this way.

Filemaker makes this program, "Filemaker 8.5v1". Then they have made "8.5v2". The end user, which is you and me, get the update and none of our work is lost but the new implemented features are intact. If I make a database for 200 clients, and add fields or forms, I can send them an update patch which will not overwrite their current data.

If the data is stored in a mysql seperate db, then the updates should work. This would be the main reason for me upgrading. However if not, then I will wait til it is achieved.

Question: Can I make updates to my distributed databases now without loss of data already input?

• Newbies

Since this started out as a thread on FM9 and the separation model, I will append a related thought here.

I have not added the OBDC drivers yet. Can someone discount or prove that in a separation model scheme, I could publish my data files (made in FM) as OBDC and subscribe to those files from my UI database.

If it works I see a very useful feature. The OBDC subscribe allows for a user name and password different from the signed in user. This common password could work on multiple data files without all of the rigamarole of getting user names and passwords to all of the data files.

Would there be negative consequences to doing it this way?

Just wondering, How one would achieve this. I mean, is there documentation on how to do updates this way? My databases I have developed in FM are highly detailed and elaborate to my way of thinking, so do I need to convert my db over and have each and every field direct the data to the sql?

I said Kevin's found it lacking (if you run through his posts)... I have no real issues with it, except sometimes you do have to update the data layer...

and as far as i know the import still doesn't match properly with the addition of new fields...

I believe Kevin's played with the separation model and found it wanting...

Oh my! I have done more than play with it...LOL. it has been torn apart/ reassembled/ switched around and still failure. I have hundreds of fields and even more scripts and formulas, and I could not get it to work. Thus I am stuck with the heavy burdon of making sure my first release is "perfect" so I do not have to ask hundreds of customers to return for bug fixes. I have made major releases, and been ok, but would love to be able to make my job easier...

Hey Kevin,

I don’t know why you’ve had so much trouble with the SM especially in 8 and up. Ender made an invaluable post for anyone wanting to convert to the SM and you need to really grab on to it because Ender doesn’t have all that many good ideas. :P Here’s the link

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/12...

I’m like the Old Advance Man regarding SM. Every solution I build anymore is using the Separation Model. Once you wrap your brain around it, it just makes sense. Follow the above link and you’ll not go wrong. The Old Advance Man didn’t get Old and Advanced just by being a Man, he did it in part by recognizing the write-of-it! Ok maybe that and a good woman! :blush2:

You need to tell us specifically what problems you’re having in your conversion to SM so we can help. And the time to do that is when you’re sitting there staring at the screen and you want to stop because you just don’t get it. Don't keep slogging through it, give us a shout! Hey I come from a long line of “Not getting it”. My family will tell you I’m from the shallow end of the Glosenger gene pool. : A lot of people are just smart, but most of us have to struggle and mess things up a number of times before we get it. The good news is there are people right here on this thread more than happy to jump in and help. That’s where I and most of us learned it our selves.

I would recommend you take the conversation over to the SM area under “Brain Food” so other interested parties can also get it in the conversation. I’ve read most of your posts and I think SM will serve you very well and believe me when I say that YOU CAN DO IT!

Otherwise just send the Old Advance Man and me 5 grand appease for council... We love that! :thumbup:

Harry

Edited by Guest

Oops, sorry about that.

http://www.fmforums.com/forum/showpost.php?post/123239/

You guys have to go easier on me... Didn't you read the part about the Gene pool...

Harry

Edited by Guest

Its got to be a Tampa thing. Spending too much time at Ybor. hehe...

Edited by Guest

Hey Mr. Vodka,

We have a city not far from Tampa called “Thonotosassa”. One day while I was driving through town I stopped into a restaurant and said “How do you pronounce that name” and the girl behind the counter looks up at me with a disgusted look on her face and says “B-e-r-g-e-r -- K-i-n-g”!

Don’t you just hate when that happens!

Harry

This topic is 6121 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.