FM Download Issue

This topic is 6090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I did have some issues downloading it initially. I took me a few times to download it. I cleared my temp files each time that I retried.

• 1 month later...

I just downloaded FM9A from a Maintanence Agreement Release upgrading from FM8.5A. It seemed to install OK but now I have 4 shortcut icons that launch 8.5 and I have to launch 9 from the Start dialog - All Programs.

Is it safe to remove 8.5 Adv and delete all the shotcut icons or do I need to keep 8.5 Adv?

Hi Veronica,

I would leave the 8.5 shortcut until I had opened every 8.5 file in your solution and 'save as clone' compacted first. You can then change the default FileMaker program to open the fp7 by selecting My Computer > Tools > Folder Options > File Types, finding the fp7 and respecifying vs. 9. You can go into Advanced and Edit if both icons are identical and you are unsure which is vs. 9. :wink2:

LaRetta

I should also mention ... you can easily keep both icons. Rename one icon as FM 8.5 and the other as 9.0. Then right-click > Properties on the 8.5 and specify THAT FM path to the 8.5 directory (you'll see how it's listed - it's easy to change). Make the other icon 9.0.

Your DEFAULT opening when you click an FM7 file will be 9 (because it has become the default in File Types) but you can still use two different icons to open either version you wish. A developer should keep both versions but there is no reason your clients need both programs. When you run an update from 8.5 to 9, the entire vs. 9 program is installed and 8.5 is no longer needed.

This topic is 6090 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.