Admin Server Connection Error - FMS9

This topic is 5908 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am having problems connecting to my FileMaker 9 Server via a mac client configured to use a proxy server.

I have installed FMS9 and it is serving databases fine, I can log in to the admin console remotely using a PC via http://server-ip:16000 and running the console app.

However, when I attempt to do the same from a mac with the same proxy settings, at the point where it would normally ask for user name and password I instead get the error: 'Admin Server Connection Error - The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server.'

If I disable the proxy setting (for HTTP) in System Preferences > Network, I can then connect to the FM Server, but obviously I lose all other HTTP-based network services.

I understand the java webstart application takes it network settings from the default system settings but it seems to be attempting to use the proxy settings to find the local FileMaker server and consequently failing.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Codeus

Just to confirm that I have experienced this same issue after the Security Update. I attempted to uninstall/reinstall though this did not solve the problem. Hopefully someone for FileMaker is looking at this because it is quite compremising!!!

Ok, I just resolved the issue by using the fms_9.01v1_R2 version. Initially I was doing the uninstall/re-install with the R1 version. Don't know if this will work for all, just wanted to share my experience. Cheers Dino

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Im aware that this may not be the solution to this particular problem, but I also had the

"Admin Server Connection Error - The admin console cannot establish a connection to the admin server."

Message and as a result my post goes here.

With me I didnt use any proxies and I still got this message all the time it drove me crazy and it took me AGES to find out from deep within the stderr fm logs what it was. I was the dodo and Id like to save anyone else from the same mistake.

In order to upgrade my main production G5 Servers to FMS9, I temporarily installed FMS9 on a MacBook, that "was doing the production job" while I could lean back and take my time with the G5 upgrade over a few days. NATURALLY I used the same FMS9 serial number when I upgraded the G5 Servers. These clashed with the running production server serial (the MacBook).

But instead of the G5 telling me that, it just comes up with the above message that it cant contact the Admin Server. Very misleading.

I couldnt understand it for a long time either as I had

- installed OSX Tiger with all updates and then FMS9 on the MacBook and then did the EXACT SAME THING on the G5 and there it didnt work (talk about frustration).

Anyways. IF you get this message, be sure you dont have another FMS9 Server with the same serial running on your network. It stops some of the fm services from starting up correctly.

I switched off the MacBook, rebooted and -all was fine-.

Sigh.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 5908 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.