Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Rainbow wheel of death

This topic is 6110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have found in my Version 9 trial version that if i am working in a file based on the seperation model:

1. GUI

2. Data

And i then change the source of the Data file (in the GUI file) i get the Rainbow wheel of death and have to force quit FM9 after about 10 minutes.

Anyone else observed this?

The data files are exact copies in different locations with different names. (eg "Data copy")

best

Stuart

You will have changed the file references in the interface file but forgot to change the reference to the interface file that is in the data file. If you are moving the data file to a sub folder then add another path with "../interfacefilename" in the datafile before moving it.

Edited by Guest

Hi Stuart,

FM9 runs a consistency check. If you first save your FM8/8.5 files as Save A Copy As 'Compacted", and THEN open it in vs. 9, it seems to eliminate this problem. :wink2:

LaRetta

Edited by Guest

Hi Folks,

I’ve converted a number of SM files to 9, some with no problem what so ever and others with every problem what so ever! One way that has worked on over 30 solutions is to run File Maintenance on the files prior to conversion. I run both “Compact File” and “Optimize File” and it’s worked without a hitch. However, you do need Advanced.

LaRetta Said: FM9 runs a consistency check. If you first save your FM8/8.5 files as Save A Copy As 'Compacted", and THEN open it in vs. 9, it seems to eliminate this problem.

Hey LaRetta, I took the same 8.5 files I mentioned above and compacted them as you mentioned and 24 of 33 files that would not open before did open after compacting. So coodoes my lady! FMP9 does a different consistency check than previous versions and from what I understand it has to do to the new coding necessary for new SQL connectivity. I’m not sure that I fully understand why that is, but it is my understanding non-the less.

It's like the two Irishman walking out of the bar... Hey it could happen! ;)

Harry

Lol, harry, I believe its kudos - coodoes just sounds wired.

As to the Irishman's ;) walking out the bar... well, i've not seen many - then again that might be because they don't like Australian beer so they don't go in there in the first place.

Greetings Fellow FileMaker-Ins,

Hey one little mistake, man this is a tough crowd? I guess I’m like a blond with half a brain... Gifted! ;)

Genx you see now what I've been saying about Ender all this time. He just kind of sneaks into FileMaker style conversations just trying to “trip the light fantastic”. It's just so wrong on so many levels… Ender lives in Minneapolis, Minnesota you know. Last winter it was one of those cold Minneapolis mornings and Ender was walking down the street with his hands in his pockets. A passerby commented "it's the first time I every saw a FileMaker developer with his hands in is own pockets." You have to admit though, begrudgingly, that his “Maybe he meant "cooties". Harry's got those too.” Was funny. So sometimes I itch a little!

Hey while you guys are at it why not go over to the Cafe and read a truly thought provoking thread aptly named "Is 9 Fine or Pickled Swine"? I admit however that I do at times make a pig of myself on this FileMaker stuff, you know, just to be a ham! Just click right here on this link. http://www.filemakertoday.com/com/showthread.php?t=13829 As the name implies, this is very serious stuff, so don't go over there with an attitude of whimsy, not to be confused with Enders dog whimpsy. Only serious and studious FileMaker’Ins please…

And Genx, that last post was just so wrong and that you would say such a thing just makes me tear up a little. :crazy2: You and Ender got some kind of a tag-team match going on or something? Where is LaRetter when I need her? :wink2:

Live Long & Prosper,

Harry

Edited by Guest

Thin Client:

Yes, after years and years of desire and expectation we have "Thin Client"! No-No-No, not from FileMaker silly! I have a new customer and she's a Thin Client! Hubba-Hubba...

LOL!!!

Tag team you say? No I just thought it was funny that Ender might be as immature as me :

• 3 weeks later...

This topic is 6110 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.