No support for using Tenon iTools with FMS9A?

This topic is 5794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Our company has been unable to get FMS9A working with Apache running with iTools 8. View a screen shot of error message.

According to Tenon (the developer of iTools) they currently have many customers successfully running iTools 8 with FMS8A and the FileMaker PHP/API beta.

According to Eric Jacobson, Product Manager of Internet Technologies at FileMaker, Inc.;)

"FileMaker Server 9 for OS X only supports the version of Apache that is provided as part of OS X. This means that we only support Apache 1.3 installed in the default location. There is no support for using Tenon iTools with FMS9 or FMS9A."

I realize that FileMaker's official position is that they don't support it but surely if FMS8A and the FileMaker PHP/API beta can be tweaked to work with iTools then so can FMS9A...right?

Anyone that can share some tips on how to get this working would be greatly appreciated.

For those unfamiliar with iTools 8 , it is a website management system that runs on the Mac OS.

From the Tenon website: "Using Apple's bundled Apache as a point-of-departure, Tenon's iTools extends this underlying server platform with an Apache 2 implementation, a point-and-click interface and a rich set of new features."

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed the nice fellow, Richard Carlton of RC Consulting, who developed, and generously shared, the solution to get itools working with FMSA8. He reports that (a) they are working on a similar fix for FMSA9; but (:B the initial version of FMSA9 appears to be very unstable on the Mac platform. His advice was to stand pat with 8 until the first revision of 9 is released.

That's a bit crude don't you think Steven? You just replied in a different topic that had obvious signs of huge issues on the Mac platform. Stop pretending that there's nothing wrong. If 8.0 runs fine why should people rush into a version of 9.0 that is "stable for some"?

And he does sound like he might know what he's talking about: http://www.rcconsulting.com/devcon.html .. and his company has developed for your very own FileMaker Inc.

Hello Everyone...

My ears were burning...so I though I would provide an update.

Yes...we have (just today) been able to run iTools 8.2.4 with FMSA 9.0v1. FMI was pretty insistent that it could not be done...but never underestimate the power of an developer with unlimited supplies of Caffine and Hot pockets. :-) Thanks to RCC's William Vaughn.

Anyway...we are going to do some more testing, and THEN release a white paper on this...like we did with the previous iTools and FMSA 8.0v4.

RCC and a number of high end development companies are continuing to recommend a HOLD on any deployments of FMSA 9.0v1 with the intent to use web publishing of any type. Using FMSA 9.0v1 in a development environment is great...but full blown production...is probably not a smart course, until some bugs are patched.

A number of users of Server 9 (who jumped the gun on deployment), have rolled back to Server 8. Seems most everyone is happy with Client 9....so we're seeing a lot of Client 9/Server 8 scenerios.

If you have questions, or want to be kept in the loop on iTools integration issues with FMSA... please drop me a direct email.

[email protected]

You don't really know waht you're talking about. "Big Bad Rich" as he is affectionately known by his FSA Partner/ FBA Platinum colleagues and I have worked together extensively over the years, including on the very topic under review here.

There are significant issues with Server 9 on OS X Server. FMI has stated they are aware of these and are investigating them. So far, there have been no reports of issues with Server 9 on Windows Server 2003 SE SP 2, its preferred OS.

As we learn of these we will keep this Forum advised of them.

Steven

Well in that case, If it wasn't being sarcastically used, naturally I apologize. Just seems like something you'd do though - especially with a one line non-explanatory "comment".

You have to remember this is a forum and quotes usually imply sarcasm e.g. how would you read this sentence: Steven is an FM "expert".

Edited by Guest

Genx,

No big deal. Dr. Blackwell can abuse me all he wants. LOL !!!

Ha. No, actually, I wanted to thank Steve publically for all his help in acting as a sounding board for my SASE session at DEVCON.

For those who don't know...Steve Blackwell is one of the folks who help keep FMI honest. For that, I thank you. THe resulting products are better. I have been a pain in FMI's side from time to time, but nothing like Steve.

------------------

More iTools info forthcoming as situation warrants.

Anyway...we are going to do some more testing, and THEN release a white paper on this...like we did with the previous iTools and FMSA 8.0v4.

Any new information on the release of your white paper?

Hello Halburn,

We are working on this. However, if I was able to send this to you tomorrow, you couldn't do much with it yet, since the unstable nature of the WPE on Server 9.

Anyone running Web apps with Server 9 right now is hating life.

--- As soon as it it hammered out --- We'll post the info.

Thanks,

Richard

• 1 month later...

Hello All,

Thank you all for your interest in using FileMaker Server 9 and iTools.

As you all know, we have been working for some time to make FMS9 play nicely with iTools. Unfortunately, FMS9 is not very cooperative.

We have encountered an issue that causes the Web Publishing Engine to crash when used with FileMaker Server 9.

We have kept Tenon and FileMaker, Inc. in the loop on this issue, and we will let you know if we make any breakthroughs.

William Vaughn

Richard Carlton Consulting, Inc.

• 8 months later...

This topic is 5794 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.