Pop-up to Drive Field Changes

Rodd

This topic is 6094 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible in FM 8.5 to use a pop-up field choice to change other fields data. Specifically, I would like to have a field defined as a pop-up that has "Billing", "Shipping" to drive which address is displayed.

If you create a relationship from your customer table to the customer address table, keyed on customerID and perhaps a field calling address type. Each record in the customer address table should be assigned a type. Then you can use a value list on the customer-side AddressType and put the related fields on the layout. So when you change the type now, the related record data will change.

mr_vodka,

Thanks for the quick follow-up. I created what you suggested, have two tables, customers, addresses, linked by customer_id, and I have a field in the addresses table called address_class. I used the Address_class field to hold "Home", "Billing", "Shipping". The pop-up works fine, but when I change the value, instead of changing the address, it just updates that record. For example, where I have a "Billing" and "Shipping", I end up with say "Shipping" on both records.

Is there some setup on that pop-up field I'm not doing?

Thanks

It needs to be linked by customer_id and addresstype_choice <--> customer_id and Address_class.

Then you can put the related, city, state, zip, etc of child address record on the layout.

Wouldn't that infer I keep the address_type in both tables? Being an Oracle guy, that kinda goes against my DB genes because that forces me to create two records in my master table (customers), one for each address_type. Or am I misinterpreting that?

• 3 weeks later...

Is your Avatar telling us what you think of our Forum. :giggle:

Every time I see it, it reminds me of my son's response to my mother-in-law's changing his diaper. She choose to do this on her couch, that no one was allow hardly sit on, let alone eat, or drink while sitting on it. HIs fountain went right over her shoulder, and onto the couch. I still chuckle at the memory (so does my wife, and the rest of her family).

Anyway, back to FileMaker.

Lee

Edited by Guest

This topic is 6094 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.