Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Newbie needs help with totaling and creating id numbers

ds26347

This topic is 6233 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi sorry if I'm in the wrong place. I have been using my database for years and now made the jump to filemaker pro 9. I am 75% done with the database for my martial arts school but I ran into two snags.

1- I would like to have a customizable i.d number that when I create a new account automatically offers the last number plus one. I tried creating a i.d number field with a +1 formula value from the last visited record but that flopped.

2- I would like to have a layout/report that totals a monthly payment amount field. I set the field to 'numbers' but I can't seem to get the fields totaled (or grand totaled)

I know these are pretty simple things but the learning curve is a bit steep from mydatabase to filemaker pro.

Thanks

Dan

Hello- welcome to the forums

Let me see if I can help....

1- I would have this field be Auto-enter. Put in the last account number and have it increment by 1

2- create a new field- the type would be summary and you indicate total of which field.

Both of these field definitions are done in "Define Database" under Fields.

Hope that helps

Thanks the first problem seems to be solved but I'm still stuck on the second;

2- create a new field- the type would be summary and you indicate total of which field.

Both of these field definitions are done in "Define Database" under Fields.

The first field I have is "Monthly Payment Amounts" it is a numerical field (I am assuming numerical because I plan to put in monetary amounts) when trying to create a second field "monthly payment amounts summary' it gives me an error with the first field claiming it would create a circular problem.

Edited by Guest

Not sure what the problem is from here, but can you check your fields (in Define Database) and see if they are set up like this? The bottom portion is under "Options" for your Summary Field. Hope i'm not assuming too much regarding what you're looking for.

(sorry...I just dove in since I'm up early.)

MPAmts.jpg

This topic is 6233 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.