Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Introduction

This topic is 6104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Welcome Filemaker Developers!

Thank you Stephen for implementing so quickly my request to add this category to the Forum!

In attending a few sessions focusing on In-House Developer situations here at DevCon '07 in Orlando, FL this week, it became apparent that a forum needed to be established to continue the discussion's beyond the limited timeframe of the session(s). Many attendee's voiced their desire to see someone, somehow, continue these discussion's, so I hope this medium can become that solution!

As time goes by we should be able to see some commonality in these on-going threads that will help us determine how to help break them up into separate categories. Feel free to make suggestions as we go along.

Since this forum category is new, please let other's know it exist's, so that the community of In-House Developers can help it to grow and mature into a wonderful resource of hints, suggestions, and real world experiences.

Ho Leeland,

I too am an in-house developer, and I attended that last workshop, so I know where you're coming from.

To be clear, I don't think the technical needs of in-house developers are any different from everybody else. The existing forums should be fine for all that. From our discussion, it seems the biggest difference (and problems) are in project management and perception (clout). It would probably be useful to start the discussion there.

I know for me and the guys I was sitting by, hearing about how other in-house developers are experiencing these problems too was a big eye-opener. I'd suggest someone reiterate the common concerns (or the differences between in-house and outside consultants).

IMHO the big advantage of in-house developers is the opportunity to work closely with the "client" which for me assists greatly in creating the best solution posible.

Downside: my services don't cost the clients anything, so they are often undervalued.

I just spent a week doing work for a client who needed something *urgently* only to be told that *they* got their original spec wrong and it's no good to them. (The job is now being done by an external consultant, and they are paying for it with real money.)

IMHO the big advantage of in-house developers is the opportunity to work closely with the "client" which for me assists greatly in creating the best solution posible.

Totally agree. Allows you to not only see what you feel is needed on a day to day basis, and also take requests to change something that is usually done in minutes. Rather than maiking a call to have someone come in to do it.

Always love making changes/add a quick script to a file when on the phone with someone wanting a simple change. "You mean like that" and they just say "Perfect...thanks".

That's a big advantage that's often overlooked.

Downside: my services don't cost the clients anything, so they are often undervalued.

Unfortunately true :)

I find that as an in-house developer, if I'm doing my job well, I get taken for granted. (no problems, no complaints). It is difficult to justify the cost because nothing that I do directly affects the companies bottom line. (of course without filemaker the buisness would no longer function, at all).

Being able to work closly with the end users of a solution is, (In my mind) essential. Few managers/owners/... know how to ask for what they want. (most of the time I get instructions like "Everytime this happens make it do that." But when questioned further you find they didn't really mean "everytime" becuase there are always exceptions. I always question further if I hear the words "always" or "never", rarely do they mean it.) I can't even imagine supporting a large customized solution that I didn't have access to daily. (a good database, in my opinion, should be "organic" and grow and bend as the buisnesses's needs change).

Just my 2 cents. (I was very happy to see this forum, I've got no budget to go to any workshops and I'm looking forward to reading insights from other In-House developers.)

In my time as an in house developer I have noticed the same thing - I get taken for granted. No one seems to notice near 100% uptime - but have a network card in your FM server die unexpectedly take out a DB, and suddenly "You should have known that would happen!"

For me being in house has allowed me to immerse myself in our industry, and that knowledge has helped our systems become better and more efficient. The day to day interaction with the users has led to some improvements that maybe would not have been added had the job been outsourced.

We recently made FM our platform for all internal systems at all four divisions - and that was primarily because we could do it in house, and compared to the other options was far more flexible and cost effective.

Now if I could just find the 25th hour in the day..

It seems like we share in the benefits of being in-house; a strong knowledge of what the company needs from the db, the ability to distill and translate requests from co-workers easier because of that. And there is nothing like spending the amount of time needed to just hit "command d", and create a calculation that makes someones job SOOOO much easier. The thanks are genuine!

And to go along with others about pay? Well, when I have the confidence to approach my first paying client, hopefully that will change. But for now I'll plug away in this part time, secondary gig.

On a much harder question, when does one know when their knowledge base is enought to breakout?? Is there a Filemaker Developer's test (half kidding)

You could go get certified if Developing is what your calling is.

As far as knowing if you are ready, ask yourself if you are capable of making a solution that is user friendly, easy on the eyes, and very functional.

2 years ago I made a Invoicing order tracking system for a Machine shop. Have only been called in once to make a change and that was to add a script. I made that file for fun in my off time and the company happens to be the company we order all our metal work from.

Kinda funny even to this day when I see an invoice or a packing slip hand written I see $$$$$ Potential customer....lol.

Michael

It is very nice to see this discussion section started. I do agree with ender, that the real issue I face is negotiating adequate time for filemaker and my other duties(project management/scheduling). As for clout, we each have a different environment, so best of luck to-ya. It's not just about having the time, but all the while producing results from my efforts on each front. It's nice to be noticed and appreciated for all the work and nothing seems to produce that but results (consistent & measurable).

Also, balancing the need to be flexible (our greatest advantage over our consultant counterparts), reponsive, etc and organized, professional, efficient is a difficult challenge. I also have been known to take the call and make a minor change before hanging up the phone. This creates good results and bad results. Balance is king!!

Just a few cents from my point of view.

Tim

Thanks again for starting this group of threads.

This topic is 6104 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.