Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Super weird field problem

This topic is 6097 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a user on a tabbed layout. Their cursor is active in one of the fields on the 3rd tab, if the user stays idle in that field (sometimes 30 seconds sometimes a few minutes) it will keep that field active and in the foreground and then 'skip' back to the main tab, overlaying that field on top of the main tab's details.

I have a screenshot of what I'm talking about, sorry I blurred out the text it seemed to make it less obvious. I thought this was an isolated incident, but trying the same thing myself on my computer it did it as well. I never would have noticed because I'd have no need to stay idle/active in a field for long periods of time (though sometimes she says it happens while she's typing, as well). Just wondered what everyone has to say about it, I'm sure someone else has noticed this before.

For the time being I told her to click out of the field to make sure the record commits if she's going to be doing something else for a period of time.

weird_thing.jpg

Edited by Guest

Ender - Yes, I scrolled down because the field was off the screen. But there are tabs on this layout.

I could try and make a quick and easy sample file, though it would be nothing like the actual file (100+ tables, etc). I can try and get some better shots without the blurring (waiting for it to do it again), I did that because I work for a social services agency and it's obviously confidential information with people's names.

For testing I've tried using my laptop at the same time editing layouts, etc and nothing has seemed to force the issue.

Fabrice - Not likely, no. There are only two other people that have layout access, neither would have reason to be editing those layouts, in fact I don't even think they are around today.

I also upgraded the user from 8.5v1 to 9.0v1 in hopes of that helping matters.

We cannot say for sure without seeing the file because you say tabs but, as Mike indicates, we can't see one. It appears that you have a portal stacked on a portal. Why does it sometimes happen and sometimes not? One possible theory ...

Users can get spooked when sitting at a computer and suddenly their screen changes to a different record - or the cursor jumps all by itself to a different field (or tab). Usually, it is because the cursor has been jiggled (usually by desk movement but I've had it happen by the wind) and it scrolls to a different record. Scrolling to a different record might cause the screen to refresh and focus to change. If focus changes, the other portal's field might gain focus.

Also be sure that, in all tab panels, nothing is off the edge of the tabs. What would I try? Delete the errant portal and hide/lock the status area to prevent scrolling. Just an idea but it's all speculation without seeing the file itself.

This topic is 6097 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.