FM Server 8 hosted database rejects password

This topic is 5127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi:

I am unable to gain full access to a hosted "opener" file using my username and password from my computer. I get message "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action."

All other hosted files (8) open correctly in full access mode with the same username and password. If I close the file in FM Server, copy it to my desktop, it will then accept my name & password and open in full access mode.

That made me suspect an OS X permissions issue, but I've quadruple checked permissions while being hosted, they are set correctly, and identically, to all other hosted files.

I've retrieved the original file from a back-up, made sure username & password for full access were functioning correctly, added to database folder, made sure permissions set correctly, opened in FM Server and it will then no longer accept my password while hosted. I can then take it down again, and open it directly with the formerly rejected password.

The only post I found was a database someone had that didn't open in FM Server at all. The solution there was to rebuild it by compressing it. I've tried that too, no luck. I doubt mine is corrupted anyway, it's got no records, it's a simple opener file with a few buttons that perform "open some other file" scripts, the paths are all correct.

Does anybody have any thoughts or other suggestions I might try? I'd rather not have to create the file from scratch unless necessary.... Thanks in advance.

That message is something that would come up after you have successfully logged in.

At what point are you getting the message? Is it when you try doing something, or does it come up as a result of something the startup script is doing?

Just to confirm the privilege set is what's expected, you might try adding an unstored calc of get(privilegesetname) and putting the field on the layout (hopefully you can still see a layout on login).

Thanks for responding Ender.

I'm definitely not able to open the file when trying to use my username and password for full access.

I do have it set to open with limited access for regular users here, where a username and password are auto entered, but of course that doesn't help me get in to make changes while it's being hosted.

I hold down the option key while opening to bring up the name/password entry window, but it just refuses to accept my password when it's being hosted.

There is no script set to run upon opening the file. This database is just a list of scripts to open other files called by buttons when clicked.

The file functions correctly when I open the file as a regular user (limited access). The buttons call up the right scripts which open the correct files, I just can't get into layout mode or scripteditor to make any revisions.

What's driving me really crazy is it is identical to another opener file that has very similar scripts and layout, but exhibits none of this bizarre behavior, it accepts the password while being hosted and gives me full access, no problem.

I suppose I could rebuild it from scratch, but I'd rather discover why the issue developed in the first place and resolve. It should be working, very frustrating.

So you're just not able to log into the file with a Full Access account when it's hosted?

What was this error all about:

I get message "Your access privileges do not allow you to perform this action."

Were you logged in with a different account at the time?

What are the permissions you set on the file?

So you're just not able to log into the file with a Full Access account when it's hosted?

Exactly. If I take it down, my full access username and password works. Really sounds like an OS X permissions issue doesn't it? As I'd mentioned I have checked that many times over, they are set correctly, more detail below in reply.

What was this error all about:

That's the message I immediately get after entering my password and clicking "Okay". I see what you mean, it should say something like your password or username do not match.....

Were you logged in with a different account at the time?

No, I make it a point to log into any/all my databases using my admin name and password if I'm working on them.

What are the permissions you set on the file?

Owner is set to "serveruser" to Read & Write - as are all accessible files on our xserve - and Group is set to "fmsadmin" to Read & Write. This matches the 7 other files that are concurrently hosted, which I can open when using my full access username & password.

I'm stumped, I think I'll recreate the file from scratch and see if the problem develops again.

Thanks for your thoughts Ender.

Check the keyChain utility to see if there are any credentials for this database. Clear them if there are and reboot. Then try accessing the hosted file.

Steven

Steven:

No such luck, but thanks for the excellent suggestion. Looking through keychain I see that none of my databases are listed, I haven't used keychain's password storage for administering any of our fm hosted files, even though it's tempting. ;-)

Thanks,

If this helps anyone point me in the right direction, I see these in my logs after looking for clues...

Finder tool: request to change uid to 501 gid to -1 for /G-Server/Media Menu.fp7

Finder tool: request to change uid to -1 gid to 305 for /G-Server/Media Menu.fp7

Media Menu is indeed the name of the offending file in this post. Hmmmm.

305 is the group user id for fsadmin, 501 is the user id for the server. I'm not really familiar with this area, but perhaps I've got the appearance of permissions set correctly, but they're not really "sticking" and hence the log entries? Anyone know what those entries mean?

Thanks

Just to close this thread, rebuilding that database from scratch resolved the issue. Very strange. I can only suspect some sort of corruption that neither compressing the file nor my myriad attempts at alternate solutions could resolve. Recreating it was my last resort and it worked.

Thanks to Ender and Steven for your suggestions, I appreciate.

• 3 weeks later...

Eureka, found it!

It's always the simplest oversights. I had forgotten to check (enable) Filemaker Network in the Extended Attributes in the Account Privileges edit window for that database. Doh!!

Hopefully though, this thread will help some other poor soul who's going through the same ordeal.

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...

Nice! I am glad old threads like this hang around.

I was locking down some old files that I didn't create by re-enabling the [Guest] account (making that the auto-login) and in a few of the files they had turned off the "Access via FileMaker Network (fmapp)" checkbox for the [Read-Only Access] privilege set. pgallagher34's last suggestion was what tipped me off. :

The devil is in the details…

• 8 months later...

This topic is 5127 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.