Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Summarizing by subset

bingodb

This topic is 6061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Given table A in one/many with B. Table B has some number fields and corresponding summary fields used to total each.

I have no trouble building a report that shows totals from B for each record in A. The problem is when I want to group the records in A. For example, A has a color field. I want to get the totals by color. FMP will group the results on Color, but still insists on computing totals form each singe A record. I want totals for subsets (unions) of records in A. ???

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - I'm not entirely sure what it is you're asking here, but it seems that you want Table A to summarise totals from Table A as if it were a different table (like your Table B example)?

If this is the case, you could try setting up a relationship between Table A and Table A (yes, FM can do this) - I did something like this a long time ago, and I seem to remember I had to set up a global field in my table where I could input value(s) to match against values in the individual records in the same table, using a script.

The relationship had the global field on the left, and the corresponding field on the right; the filenames were the same.

This topic is 6061 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.