Server Maintenance This Week. ×

"The Database Server is not Available."

This topic is 5347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I installed the Technet developer version of FMSA 9 on my machine, after a manual removal of FMSA 8 (I had lost my install CD, I may have missed some files, but I am pretty sure I got everything). I type in localhost:16000, it gives me:

FileMaker Server Admin Console is starting. The Deployment assistant will guide you through the remaining steps required to deploy FileMaker Server 9. Please wait.

Then it launches a java app, which crashes with the error:

The Database Server is not Available. To edit server deployment please start the Database Server first.

I have tried rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling several times, I cannot get past this error. There doesn't appear to be any script or app to start up the database server that I can find.

Same problem here.

To fix:

1. find the file that was downloaded (should be called "admin_console_wwebstart.jnlp")

2. right click it in the finder and choose "get info".

3. Change the "open with" app to "Java Cache Viewer" (/Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/)

4. Click "Change All..." button.

5. In the future, just double-click this file directly.

You say it "crashes with an error" -- is it really crashing, or just quitting with an error? There is a technote that discusses this:

http://filemaker.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/filemaker.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=6454

Well it pops up the error, then does nothing else while the java app sits there.

Here are some screenshots:

Error 1:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=32zt9w2&s=2

Then when I close the java app (it just sits there doing nothing) I get:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=vnz23n&s=2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Steven, on 10-06-07 05:05 AM you replied to the Post#268871...

'I installed the Technet developer version of FMSA 9 on my machine, after a manual removal of FMSA 8 (I had lost my install CD, I may have missed some files, but I am pretty sure I got everything). I type in localhost:16000, it gives me:

FileMaker Server Admin Console is starting. The Deployment assistant will guide you through the remaining steps required to deploy FileMaker Server 9. Please wait.

Then it launches a java app, which crashes with the error:

[color:red]The Database Server is not Available. To edit server deployment please start the Database Server first.

I have tried rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling several times, I cannot get past this error. There doesn't appear to be any script or app to start up the database server that I can find.'

I have the same problem, but on windows 2003 (fm server 9 v3). You said 'There are command lines for both platforms, and on Windows OS there is also the Services Control Panel.'.

Could you explain to me how to solve this problem in Windows 2003, please?

Thanks

PS: I'm sorry for my bad English...

• 7 months later...

For testing purpose, I installed FMS9 on Windows 7, I could not get the server to work.

I always get the following error message:

"The Database Server is not Available. To edit server deployment please start the Database Server first."

I tried to run the jnlp file with Java 5, got the same error.

This topic is 5347 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.