sharing filemaker 6 data

This topic is 6037 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a novice question I could not answer from searching. I want to share a filemaker 6 data base between two computers which are not networked. Both are Mac's. The purpose of sharing the data base is that both users will make changes to the data base. I was thinking of having the data file reside on a server that both computers could access via the net, like a .mac account. The users don't want to have to copy the file from the server to their own computers each time they want to make a change to the data base. Someone told me that we need a newer version of file maker to do this. Is that correct? which version? Thanks.

If they are not networked, you're gonna have a hard time sharing the database.

FM6 does support network hosting. If the machines are on the same network, you just open the file locally on one computer, turn on Sharing, and have the other computer access it via "Open Remote".

Thanks. I tried the following and it seems to work. We put the data file on an "idisc" on an imac account. I opened the data file and using file sharing set the file to multi user. Each of the two users have fmp5, and they access the data over the web. This method is slow, but works. For longer sessions, they can copy the data from the idisc, make the changes, then copy the file back to idisc. If the two computers are ever on a network, I will try the remote access method.

Edited by Guest

Hold on. DO NOT attempt to "share" a database on a network volume or iDisk. Working on a file shared in such a manner is a good way to corrupt it.

Stick with FileMaker's built-in hosting capability.

Edited by Guest

So, you mean using remote access? I would put a copy of fmp6 on the idisc and open the data base with it. I would then allow remote access of that db file on the idisc by the two users?

Or, what about copying the file from idisc to the local user, the user will edit the file, and then uploading the db file back to the idisc? thanks

Edited by Guest

No to both. FileMaker files should be opened locally (that means stored on the local hard drive), and "hosted". Other clients would then access the file through "Open Remote", a specific Open command located under the File menu (or in the Open dialog).

Thanks. I found "open remote." the problem is that the two computers who will use the data base are not on a network. The only way I can think of for them to access the same database file is to post it on the idisc. Any suggestions?

I don't know much about VPN's. But, neither user has a desktop computer which is always on. Both are laptop users. The fmp database is very small, about 600K. Also, they will not access it very frequently, at most only about once per day, some times only once per week. Given this situation, is the risk of data corruption fairly small with my above solutions?

Would putting FMP on the idisc, and then having the users access the data by open-remote reduce the chances of data corruption as compared to having them either (1) copy the data to their local hard drive, making changes, and uploading the data file back to the idisc, or (2) having them run fmp locally, but make the changes directly to the data on the idisc (this way is very slow)? Thanks

What about using a filemaker hosting service. Some of the sponsors below provide such services.

Example:

http://www.fmpug.com/index.php?url=http://www.pointinspace.com&source=PointInSpace_Square

Forget the iDisk this will NOT work.

DO NOT open a file on a remote disk for the reasons of hosting.

JUST DON'T DO IT.

Worse still DO NOT open a hosted file any other way than via "File > Open Remote" and then selecting the file from the host machine. If you click the actual file when it is being hosted you WILL damage the data and/or structure and may permenantly and irreversably damage the file. ... I have seen this happen and it's not alot of fun!!!

Get a server, use a hosting service or if you are on a budget a mac mini and filemaker server although not recommended it has proved stable to many (inc myself).

Edited by Guest

Thanks Stuart. Seems like so long as we have a system for not clicking on the db file on the idisk, and only accessing it on the local machines with file>open remote, that will be ok. Isn't that basically a server?

Edited by Guest

"the problem is that the two computers who will use the data base are not on a network. The only way I can think of for them to access the same database file is to post it on the idisc"

If they are not on a network, how can they access the idisk?

Vaughan- I guess I am not sure what the technical meaning of "network" is. Both mac computers have the passord and ability to access the idisk. One person "owns" the imac account. The other person can access files in the public folder of the idisk, which is where the fmp6 and the data will reside. I suppose that is a "network?"

Edited by Guest

If both of the computers are plugged into the internet, you have a network.

You have a network.

Follow Stuart's advice: "Get a server, use a hosting service or if you are on a budget a mac mini and filemaker server although not recommended it has proved stable to many (inc myself)."

This topic is 6037 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.