Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Portal problem: Repeating single ID code?

EricFujiStein

This topic is 6153 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello all,

I’m trying to relate two database tables, “Movies” and “Movie Clips.” I’ve created a portal in “Movies” that lets me look at “Movie Clips” that are related to that movie. It works great. But I’ve also created a portal in “Movie Clips” that’s supposed to let me look at “Movies” – so that I can note if a clip is drawing on footage from two different movies. Ideally, I’d be able to say that a clip is spliced footage from Movie A, Movie B, and Movie C. But, I’m having problems.

I’ve got the portal set up so that it lists the Movie ID # and Movie Title in the portal in the Movie Clips table. I can log one movie into the portal, say, Movie A (Movie ID # 299). But when I then try to log Movie B (Movie ID # 1558) into the portal’s Movie ID # field, the portal automatically switches the number I entered to 299, the code for Movie A.

And what’s worse, the portal automatically creates a NEW file in my Movies database, also with the Movie ID # 299 – so then I have multiple records with the same serial number – but the new records contain no data, except for the Movie ID #.

I think maybe this has something to do with a box I checked while creating something, which said “Allow creation of new records,” and/or “Allow deletion of records when deleted in portal”? But now I can’t figure out how to get BACK to that screen.

Help?

Peace,

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I’m trying to relate two database tables, “Movies” and “Movie Clips.” I’ve created a portal in “Movies” that lets me look at “Movie Clips” that are related to that movie. It works great. But I’ve also created a portal in “Movie Clips” that’s supposed to let me look at “Movies” – so that I can note if a clip is drawing on footage from two different movies. Ideally, I’d be able to say that a clip is spliced footage from Movie A, Movie B, and Movie C. But, I’m having problems.

Got to say, I stopped reading your post right there. Why? You said that you have two tables, yet you describe in the next breathe a many-to-many relationship btw Movies and MovieClips. That's when I stopped. You need a third table, a "join" table, that resolves the many-to-many relationship. This table will store the MovieID and MovieClipID combinations. Relate Movies to the join table by MovieID and MovieClip to the join table by MovieClipID.

Topic_190783.zip

Edited by Guest
added attachment

This topic is 6153 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.