Commit Records affects what record(s)?

This topic is 6129 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a script in my primary file that processes records in that file and updates/adds records in a separate "log" file. The script finds an existing log record using a relationship between the two files. When a new record is needed, the primary script performs an "add record" script in the log file.

While I was updating the primary script, I noticed a "Commit Records" step following the setting of several fields in a log record. I disabled that step because, at the point in the script, I did not want to commit changes in the primary file.

Everything seemed to keep working as before ... until I opened the log file and attempted to delete a record. FileMaker refused to delete the record because it was in use. A short while later, I was able to delete the record. Hmmm.

The help for Commit Records/Requests says ...

Commits a record. The Commit Record/Request script step exits the current record or find request, updating field data and making no field active.

This raises the question of what "current record" actually means:

• the current record in the table associated with the current layout?
  • the record most recently modified?
  • the record most recently referenced?
  • all modified records?
  • the current record in all active tables?

If anyone knows for sure, it will save me a bunch of experimenting.

P.S. As I reviewed this post, I noticed the script step name uses the plural "Records" while the Help text uses the singular "record" (including incorrectly naming the script step). Another hmmm.

AFAIK, Commit Records/Requests[] will commit the current record AND any open related records ('current record' being the record currently selected in the table on which the frontmost window's layout is based).

I suggest you read the relevant chapter in the "Migration Foundations and Methodologies" white paper (page 74 and on), available from Filemaker, Inc., where these issues as discussed in detail.

This topic is 6129 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.