Refresh Inserted Calc Text Field Via Script?

This topic is 6116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm using a function from Nightwing to log changes in fields.

The field that logs the changes is a text field with insert calculated result.

It works fine if you click in another field after editing the field, or if you navigate to another record.

But - This layout is set up to not automatically save changes, so my users like to use a Commit Record script.

That's fine and dandy, except that the log field that tracks changes does not refresh when you commit via a script.

I've tried throwing several things in the script before the commit step to trick the field into refreshing, but apparently nothing is the equivalent to clicking another field with a mouse?

(Are you son of flying pig sent to make people happy while they stand in line?)

Why yes, fellow Portlander, I suppose I could, I just don't know what the script step would be, all of the obvious seem to do jack squat for me.

Somehow, whatever happens when you click another field with your mouse is magically special when it comes to refreshing Text fields with inserted calcs...

BTW -

Here is the link to the original file from NightWing.

http://www.nightwing.com.au/FileMaker/demos8/demo809.html

It works fine as is, but trying to get the log to update with a commit script opens a jar of angry kittens...

... opens a jar of angry kittens...

Oh, I DO like that one! Consider it stolen - what an image! :shocked:

I wouldn't imagine that kittens could be angry but I envision exuberant and that works as well.

"The log is activated by manual edits and therefore does not address changes made to the data by script. However a separate custom function (ScriptLog( )) is provided for this purpose and a script called "Set field and Log" is provided to illustrate how it can be used."

Sorry, I haven't had a chance to look at this further. You might want to ask the author directly. Ray's user name here is CobaltSky.

This topic is 6116 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.