Portal Filter

This topic is 6078 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All

I am having a real problem with portal filtering. Just can't seem to get my feeble mind around the concept.

Have a db with two tables.

Employee and TimeLog.

I would like to filter the timelog portal by the current week. Have looked at all the examples i could find and just can't get it to work.

Thank you all

Supervisor_Log_Copy.zip

OK, Mabey I was not to clear as to what my problem is.

I am making a simple Time tracking log.

Two tables Employee & TimeLog.

On the Employee layout I have a portal that shows the TimeLog records.

All works as hoped but i wold like to filter the portal records to just show the records for the current week.

What i am not clear on is the relationship when doing a portal folter. In looking at JMO's YEARFILTER example, it appears sooooo simple but in practice I JUST DON'T GET IT.

Need a little nudge in the right direction.

Thanks

I should perhaps tie a few comments to it, if you use a multi criteria relation will the "Allow Creation ..." tampers it with the foreign key value by overruling the autoenter, hence the use of scripted creation of portalrows instead.

Other ways of solving this issue would require an extra relation - but the trickery found in "Special Edition Using..." pp. 478 have lost it's meaning because the execution order have been reversed from version fm7 to fm8. This means that scripting is manditory any way, so why bother with a "New Record Only" relationship, which were pretty commonly occuring in versions fm3 to fm6...

The surprising fact is that Scott Love and company apparently havn't found it yet ... or that I havn't seen how to fix the implications the introduction of fm8 conveyed?? As it is doesn't it work as written!

--sd

• 1 month later...

OK, I understand most of what i see. In fact I have made a few changes to the DB and it is working great. Just one thing though. How did you get the portal to behave the way it does? I really like that it does not show an empty row. I am sue it has to do with the way the EmployeeID is set in the New record step but I can't figure it out. Teach me.

Thanks

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

This seems to me to be the best way to handle new records in portals. Very elegant and very simple. I have always hated the empty portal row. Too confusing for the ordinary person. Especially with the type of people I deal with here in Thailand. Thailand is still in the dark ages when it comes to computer litracy.

Thank you so much for the help. Attached is another db i put together. What do you think.

Fred

MessageCenter.zip

This topic is 6078 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.