Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

My database just scrambled the data

manatee

This topic is 6155 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a fairly large database and after doing some updates and entering browse mode, the custom serial number we create is now duplicated across several records. The numbers were right previously, set to be unique in validation, and the only changes made were for to add a script for a search, report and print.

Has anyone seen this? I am thinking I either need to go to a previous backup and redo the changes I made, or pull the database from the server and do a repair?

Any thoughts? Thank you!

This sounds more like a data entry problem than a file corruption issue.

Backup the current file. Import correct data from a backup. Test the script again.

...and after doing some updates and entering browse mode, the custom serial number we create is now duplicated

It would be good to find out what went wrong. What are these 'updates' you mention? What is your 'custom' serial number? Both throw red flags. If you wish to provide exactly what your 'update' and 'custom serials' are scripted, we can probably spot the break in process.

The serial number is a "Serial Number" auto enter with a validation of Unique and must exist. The change I made was script with a find request for the records, then a print with the found set, and a return to the menu. That is it. I then saw that each serial number is repeated 2-10 times for each number. These are to be, and were unique.

Now I may have broken a golden rule, but I was editing the database while someone was on via IWP. Typically I have not had an issue in the past.

I have tried a recover, and tried to reimport to no avail. I am working to get a backup, but I am concerned of this even happening. Please let me know if that helps. I have attached a picture of the serial number issue. These use to be unique for each record.

Picture_3.png

The pic doesn't really tell me much because I don't know what it means... are these separate records? Viewed from which table?

If the database is shared through IWP what privileges does the web user have?

Has somebody done a import?

Most times this stuff is usually traced to "user error".

Sorry, the picture is a list view of the records in the database. Each record had a unique serial generated by Filemaker based on "CRE00000" increment by one. It is also validated to be unique.

The folks on IWP have read only access. And only I can import. It is very strange. It was fine, I made a couple UI changes, added the script. And when to browse mode, and this is what i got. It is really bad as each record references documents and must be unique. Sorry there is not much to go on. I am wondering if this is version 9 bug territory.

I just discovered that the duplication s only on that layout. If I go to another layout, which has the same records in a different format (still list view) and search for one of the serials that is duplicated, I only get one result. If I do a show all, none are duplicate. So maybe the layout is messed up?

I made a couple UI changes...

Hmmm, when I veiw the picture, I think ... that's a MainID viewed from a child list view. If it works from another layout than that pretty-much confirms it. Double-click the field itself ... what is the table occurrence assigned to it. Now look at Layouts > Layout setup. What is listed under 'Show Records From'? Do they match? If so, then is this the child side (multiple) to that ID? That would explain the multiple 'main' IDs.

As an aside: You do not need to have validation unique on an auto-enter serial (because it should NEVER be changed via script or User). Neither do you need to specify 'not empty' for same reason. Any time you display an auto-enter serial field, TURN OFF entry to the field through it's field behavior (do not allow entry in browse). :wink2:

Edited by Guest

Well I hate to even mention but I have to owe up to my stupidity. I must've done a font change, where as the field border was cutting off the last digit of the serial. Thus making everything look duplicated. It is now corrected. I cannot believe it, but I guess now I have the honor of being admitted to some FMP hall of shame!

Thank you, thank you!!!!!!!

Ah, hey, I've had the honor THOUSANDS of times! I've make more mistakes (and worse mistakes) than anyone on this planet (although probably less than people on some other planets). I remind myself that 'those who have never been bucked off ... have never ridden.'

Ride 'em, cowboy! :wink2:

This topic is 6155 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.