Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Automatic Script Execution

This topic is 6013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Good morning everyone. I am a fairly new FileMaker developer -- okay four weeks in -- and need to automate a script's execution every time a record is viewed, created, or edited.

It's a simple script to populate a field with a URL generated from another field in the record. Is there any way to make it automatic? I've added this URL field and would like to go through the 4000+ records and have it generate the thumbnail URL automatically, and then be able to have it do so when new records are added on its own.

I can't seem to figure out how to do it without running the script manually, though.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Aaron

Welcome to the Forum.

If I'm reading you correctly you want to populate another field with data from secondary field(s).

You can accomplish this by using a calculated field or an auto enter calculation and concatenating the data.

"WWW." & datafield &".com"

If that's not what you are trying to do can you be a little more specific and give us an example.

Edited by Guest

• Newbies

Thanks for your reply and, yes, that's what I'm doing, but I guess what I'm saying is I don't know how to get it to auto-calculate.

I have a field called "Model" which holds a the model number of a product. I am generating via script another field called "Thumbnail URL" that creates the URL from the Model.

I have the script working and can create the proper URLs, but I don't know how to get it to do it on the fly, as the items are entered.

You don't need a script to do this. An auto enter calculation will accomplish this.

Go to Manage>Database

go to your "Thumbnail URL" field

Click Options

Click Auto Enter Tab

Click Calculated Value

enter your concatenated formula

"www.mydomain.com/"&Modelfield

Check "Do Not Evaluate if all referenced fields are empty"

And depending on your needs check or uncheck "Do not replace existing value.

This topic is 6013 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.