Freeze Window

This topic is 4172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I a little confused with this script step.

Freeze window, to me anyway, should keep the screen from changing until I use refresh window or the script ends.

On my Windows machine this does not work. If I'm running a script that changes layouts the layout change is shown on the screen.

I have a feeling this works on Mac and not Win?

Like many others, I'm trying to minimize the screen flashing problem wherever I can.

Thanks,

Mel

Can you list the specific script steps you are using?

In my experience Freeze Window works as stated. There are things that will unfreeze a window such as the Refresh Window script step (obviously) and the Pause/Resume script step. Creating/Closing windows will cause flashing but I haven't seen it unfreeze a window.

Namely the gotolayout script step changes the window. I would hope that the freeze window script step was intended to keep the window from showing the layout changes during a script run.

I can write a script like the following

Freeze Window

gotolayout bla bla bla

and the window will show the layout that I assume was supposed to be hidden.

I know for certainty that it's not working because I access my database remotely via wireless sometimes. The wireless is so slow I can see every layout change during the script run.

Thanks,

Mel

Any script step that causes a screen refresh will break the freeze. So putting 'Go to layout ...' after 'Freeze Window' will do this. Put your 'Go to layout' before the freeze. If you need to stop and view some data during a loop (say) then you have to issue a 'Freeze Window' script step to freeze again,

Norman

Any script step that causes a screen refresh will break the freeze. So putting 'Go to layout ...' after 'Freeze Window' will do this. Put your 'Go to layout' before the freeze.

That's just not true. The "Go To Layout" script step is not one of the steps that will "break the freeze." This is counter to the entire point of Freeze Window - switching layouts while the window is frozen is the primary use of the Freeze Window script step.

Things that will break the freeze are steps and actions that cause a dialog to be drawn on the screen or that pause for user input. If the user needs to click a button to continue the script you can bet the window will no longer be frozen.

I would still like to see the script suffering from this, in its entirety, to understand what might be going on here.

• Like 1

Hello Mel,

Are you running wireless via a website? If yes, then FM Pro 9.0 does not support the web compatibility (This script step is not web-compatible).

Hope this helps...

Be that as it may, in the case of the web, every script is performed as if the window was frozen - you will only see the layout you start on and the layout you end on: it does not load every single layout that is used by a script to screen.

• 4 years later...

Can you list the specific script steps you are using?

In my experience Freeze Window works as stated. There are things that will unfreeze a window such as the Refresh Window script step (obviously) and the Pause/Resume script step. Creating/Closing windows will cause flashing but I haven't seen it unfreeze a window.

RE:  Creating/Closing windows will cause flashing but I haven't seen it unfreeze a window.

In my experience using Freeze Window BEFORE I create a window, causes flashing EVEN IF I PRECEED THE Create Window with FREEZE WINDOW.  Doesn't this seem like a bug?   Or is this another "undocumented 'feature'"  :laugh2:

post-72145-0-08989100-1352708882_thumb.j

Vaughan,

I guess I don't understand the definition of 'freeze'.  I 'presume' it means to hold constant.  To not allow changing.  To show whatever window is on the screen when the freeze command is executed; to the exclusion of other windows.  It seems to me that if this is the definition, then other windows 'flashing' would NOT be noticed.

Where is my thinking wrong?  Perhaps Filemaker needs to define what the definition of ' is' is. :yep:

This topic is 4172 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.