Need help on creating keywords portal viewer

SteveGriff

This topic is 8232 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi people.

I was wondering if you could help me out with this idea I have been working on and how to implement it on Filemaker 5.

I have a Product database where you can assign three 'Keywords' to describe what the Product is. I have three fields in my Product database; one for each keyword. These will be called Keyword1, Keyword2 & Keyword3.

What I've done so far is to create a new layout. On this layout I am planning to place a PORTAL (yep, you've guessed it) that will show certain products that have specific keywords.

In my Product Database I have two calculation fields. The first is: -

Keyword1 & " " & Keyword2 & " " & Keyword3

The other calculation field is:-

Keyword1_DropDown & " " & Keyword2_DropDown & " " Keyword3_DropDown

The three "Keyword#_DropDown" fields will be on the new portal layout. Each field will contain a Popup value list of keywords. So when the user selects each keyword from all three fields, the corresponding product with keywords get shown in the portal.

The question is, lets say I wanted only to select one keyword from one fields so I can see all products of that keyword. How do I do it?

It is probably a simple task of slightly changing the Calculation fields.

Thanxs

Steve Griff

You don't need a calculation field. Just create a single keyword text field with a value list. Format the field for a Checkbox (multiple keywords) or Radio Button (single keyword) value list display. Checking boxes puts values in the field separated by carriage returns. This will turn the field into a multi-key. The Radio button display will only allow one keyword at a time to be selected.

-bd

Hi LiveOak

One problem with the solution, I should have really called the keyword field as "Category field", which had a list of keywords. So it wouldn't make sense to have them all in one value list, as the keywords are only appropiate for that category field.

What's the best way to do this way?

Steve Griff

This topic is 8232 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.