Server Maintenance This Week. ×

creating a grid

susan

This topic is 8259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question...

I'm working on a solution which tracks a student's score on 16 different possible tests taken in elementary school (K-5). I have the following files: Students.fp5 (contains student name, student_id, grad year, race, gender, etc.); Tests.fp5 (contains student_id, test name, test score, schoolyear and various calculated combinations, such as studenttest, testschoolyear, studentschoolyear, etc.) My last file is Reports.fp5 which contains student_id and relationships to Students and Tests.

Using portals I can get most of the information I want. However, I would like to create a grid-type layout which has the tests listed down the side, and grade of the student (K, 1, 2, etc.) across the top, and the scores within.

One idea I had was to create a portal for each grade and line them side-by side, but I don't know how to tell the first portal, for example, to display the scores from Kindergarten, the second portal to display 1st Grade, etc. I want the user to be able to enter 1 key (probably student id) which will display all the data.

Actually, I ultimately want to display this grid for a group of students, selected by the user, with each student getting his/her own page. (Could I do this by using a different key (gradyear) for example, placing the student name in the header and making the body the remaining size of the page?

Thanks for any help.

Susan

Well, half your assumptions were right! :-) I have unique IDs for each student, but their grade is simply a field in the Tests file. (There is one record for each occurance of a student taking a test. In the Students file students are listed only once, but if a student has taken 7 tests, he/she is accounted for 7 times in the Tests file. The grade of the student at the time the test was taken is stored in the Tests file; the graduating year of the student is stored in the Students file).

I know I could create a grade ID using a calculation, but then I can't use the field in a relationship.

Other options? In the Tests file do I need a separate field for Kindergarten, GradeOne, GradeTwo, etc. That seems kind of bulky, but I really need that grid layout....

Thanks for any advice.

Susan

I will make the following assumptions: You have given each student some unique ID, you have given each grade some unique ID.

Create a set of calculations (in both you student file and your test file) as follows:

cStudent_K = StudentID & "-" & KindergartenID

cStudent_1 = StudentID & "-" & FirstGradeID

cStudent_2 = StudentID & "-" & SecondGradeID

cStudent_3 = StudentID & "-" & ThirdGradeID

Then simply create a set of relationships based on each of these calculated fields. Put them side by each on a layout and you have your grid.

This topic is 8259 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.