Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Converting from 6 to 7 to 9

This topic is 5903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a number of apps in FM6, some in FM7, just got FM9. With FM9 I got the regular version, advanced and server! Here's my question. I know FM6 files must be converted to 9. If I have FM7 files can they be used in both 7 and 9 if I don't add additional functionality specific to 9? That would mean that 9 sees 7 files as if they're 9 files, right?

Yes. FMI did not change the file format with FM9, 8.5, or 8. If you code it to FM7 standards, it will open in all higher versions.

"If you code it to FM7 standards, it will open in all higher versions."

Yes, but who can live without variables which were introduced in FMP 8.5, or custom menus which were introduced in FMP 8.0!

Start with FMP's help system.

Custom menus are easy to implement technically, but because you're changing the user's interface it's easy to do things that can affect usability in negative ways. It takes a bit of thought and quite a bit of user testing.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, but who can live without variables which were introduced in FMP 8.5, or custom menus which were introduced in FMP 8.0!

I can. But I am only one of the silent many, a sophisticated but DOMESTIC user of FM4 quite happily for many years, who upgraded to FM6 only for OS X, and now finds that FM has effectively abandoned the likes of me to concentrate entirely on "business solutions".

I can't help feeling that Microsoft managed their markets so much better with Access, even though (IMO) it is an inferior app.

As for "Bento"... [speech fails me at this point...]

This topic is 5903 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.