FM5 has performed an Illegal Operation

This topic is 8577 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have posted this questions many times but i don't get any answer at all.

We have 40-50 FMP5 databases on our POS System that are hosted on FM5 Server. We have 5 counters/cashiers to access the database simultaneously. At various times, (2 to 3 times a day) FMP5 performs an illegal operation and damages some files. This problem is randomly encountered on all of the counters.

I am tired of recovering damaged files and backtracking damaged records.

I tried a fresh installation of our Windows NT Server dedicated to FM Server. I have also tried reformatting our counter's PCs with only win98 and FMP 5 installed but it doesn't help. I have tried everything i could think of and i didn't get any luck and end-up scratching my head.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance,

Garry S.

Ah, Ah, Ah, Filemaker inc. gonna help us to fix a problem with their software... let me laugh, even if you pay for their tech support, for them, the problem is always between the chair and the keyboard !!!

What kind of error do you have :

Is it a big file (MB) ?

------------------

Eric Veilleux

www.maerix.com

I don't know specifically what is causing your issue however, I did a search and came across one of your older posts. You mentioned in it that you had converted your db from older versions of FM. I'd have to assume that the older versions didn't have your current problem. Given that info, the first place I'd be look'n is your scripts. I'd think its possible that name changes for your db's (ie: extensions, fp3>fp5) during the conversion might be causing your scripts to try opening something it shouldn't or trying to perform something that's no longer available.

The reason why we upgrade to FMP5 is because we're experiencing that problem on an older version (FMP4). Unexpectedly, it came even worse than before.

On FMP4, we only encounter the error for at least twice a week, but after the upgrade we encounter it at least 2 to 3 times on different locations.

Error message:

"FileMaker Pro caused an invalid page fault in module FMCOR10.dll"

Oh, okay, didn't realize it was an issue with original solution.

"FileMaker Pro caused an invalid page fault in module FMCOR10.dll"

I can see why nobody's been able to help you. I could be way off base here but:

- What about a combination of scripts (procedure) in a particular order causing the error.

- What about record usage or something along that line of thought? ie: Is one of the other users tying to access a record another user is currently using or just used and changed some sort of value? Would explain the "random" aspect.

This may be another less than useful suggestion, but are you running the lastest version of FM Server 5 (5.0v2)? There should be nothing you can do in FM that will cause a pagefault system error. This definitely sounds like a question for the NT gurus at Filemaker. -bd

- What about a combination of scripts (procedure) in a particular order causing the error.

Ans. The problem doesn't only occur when executing a combination of a particular procedure. We are encountering it regardless of which part of the system we are in, but mostly during printing.

- What about record usage or something along that line of thought? ie: Is one of the other users tying to access a record another user is currently using or just used and changed some sort of value?

Ans. Absolutely not.

One user has similar problem, because people where trying open databases on server directly through Mac OS and the Mac OS allowed that. Failed FileLocking and OS sharing of databases folder.

I believe this is not the case.

But how you get corruption of files on server?

I have seen hundred of crashes in v. 4 and I never managed to corrupt data on server.

V 5 is more stabile so far here.

In this case I think the printer driver and OS and printer are causing this.

What printer driver and printer are you using? Is that postscript? With postscript printers is much less problems.

To be fair to techsupp people, how they can help if they cannot see it? Description of faults is sooo vague....

quote:

Originally posted by Anatoli:

One user has similar problem, because people where trying open databases on server directly through Mac OS and the Mac OS allowed that. Failed FileLocking and OS sharing of databases folder.

I believe this is not the case.

But how you get corruption of files on server?

I have seen hundred of crashes in v. 4 and I never managed to corrupt data on server.

V 5 is more stabile so far here.

In this case I think the printer driver and OS and printer are causing this.

What printer driver and printer are you using? Is that postscript? With postscript printers is much less problems.

To be fair to techsupp people, how they can help if they cannot see it? Description of faults is sooo vague....

The file on the server never get corrupted.

Let me give you a picture of what we have here:

1.) I got 5 terminals (Win98) on different locations. Similar set of files are installed locally on each terminal which function is to store the sales for the day for that terminal. (Note: These are the files that usually get corrupted after the Illegal Operation.)

2.) I have the Stock file hosted by FM Server 5 on NT Server 4.0 SP4

Terminals will only communicate with FMServer once they scan an item with a barcode to get the info of that item from the Stock file. (Note: this process intermittently takes too long to retrieve the info from the stock file.)

There is an EPSON TM-U200D receipt printer on each terminal. In addition, a Network printer (HP LaserJet 4000T) located somewhere else in the office is shared for these terminals.

As i've said before, the illegal operation mostly happened when printing a receipt but it also happened sometimes even we don't print.

What is the best way to do to determine if it is a printer driver problem?

OK, I will try.

RE: The file on the server never get corrupted.

(A) Put all files to server. FM is Server/Client. From server open files via HOST button or "Opener File technique".

-------------

RE: 1.) I got 5 terminals (Win98) on different locations. Similar set of files are installed locally on each terminal which function is to store the sales for the day for that terminal. (Note: These are the files that usually get corrupted after the Illegal Operation.)

(A) Put All files to server

-------------------------

RE: 2.) I have the Stock file hosted by FM Server 5 on NT Server 4.0 SP4

(A) Try installing SP6

RE: Terminals will only communicate with FMServer once they scan an item with a barcode to get the info of that item from the Stock file. (Note: this process intermittently takes too long to retrieve the info from the stock file.)

(A) If everything is on server, it should take second in 100 000 records.

There is an EPSON TM-U200D receipt printer on each terminal. In addition, a Network printer (HP LaserJet 4000T) located somewhere else in the office is shared for these terminals.

As i've said before, the illegal operation mostly happened when printing a receipt but it also happened sometimes even we don't print.

(A) I am not experienced in 98 and what I know it sucks (sorry Microsoft). I have good experience with NT (Excellent Microsoft!) and Macs (try a bit harder Apple)

RE: What is the best way to do to determine if it is a printer driver problem?

(A) Since it crashes also without the printer involved my guess it is the 98 gizmo. Try to print to the office printer more.

Anyway, If you will host everything just on FM server, the crashes are not corrupting files.

Anatoli

RE: 1.) I got 5 terminals (Win98) on different locations. Similar set of files are installed locally on each terminal which function is to store the sales for the day for that terminal. (Note: These are the files that usually get corrupted after the Illegal Operation.)

(A) Put All files to server

quote:

We can see more faster operation using this setup because these files are installed on the local harddrive which access is more faster compare to a hosted file.

GS

Not really in good network on good machines. To pay 1 second delay for more robust solution... the choice is yours...

This topic is 8577 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.