Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Problem with 2 overlaying portals

FUBAR

This topic is 8227 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm not sure if FileMaker has the capability for this, but this is what I'm trying to do.

I have a main database with one layout which includes a text field (Equipment) and 2 portals (one directly on top of the other.) I use one portal with a relationship between the main database (using the Equipment field) and a second database (Generators). I then set the second portal to use a relationship again using the Equipment field to a third database (Golf Carts).

So for the first record I match "Generators" for the Equipment field and the correct information is displayed in the portal (14 records are displayed.)

However, for the second record I match "Golf Carts" for the Equipment field and only the first record of the third database will appear (the record that does appear is correct but I want all 14 records to be displayed)

Sorry for any confusion with my post and I thank anyone who takes the time to read this.

No, you can't stack portals and achieve correct operation. FM wouldn't know which portal the fields were in. You shouldn't need to stack portals.

Having separate databases for each type of equipment is probably not a good structural option. The idea of databases is not to have to alter structure (add files) to add an additional type of equipment. The perceived need to stack portals seems to point to an incorrect structure.

I think what you might want is a single database storing both golf carts and generators, identifying different types of records by a field "equipment type".

-bd

Thanks for the reply.

I do admit that it's not the best structure but I wanted to test the programs capabilities.

Also, the problem that I find with combining the two seperate equipment into one database is that there are a large amount of records (basically I have a large number of different equipment types and I was just using 2 as an example.)

The overlaying portal test was something that I tried to split the database down to speed up performance.

Thanks again

This topic is 8227 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.