FMS 9.0v3 on Mac OSX Server 10.5.2

This topic is 5873 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

So -- I had FMS 9.0v3 running on 10.4.11 without issues.

I decided to update the server to 10.5.2, so I uninstalled FMS 9.0v3, updated (in-place) my server to 10.5.2, then installed the Leopard compatible 9.0v3 FMS.

Under 10.4.11, I had been using the default locations for the databases and backups -- /Library/FileMaker Server/Data/

After installing 9.0v3 and rebooting -- the databases open in the correct location.

However, the *backup* schedule says that "filemac:/Server HD/Library/FileMaker Server/Data/Backups/" is not a valid path.

but all the permissions are as they normally would be:

total 16

drwxrwxr-x 7 fmserver fmsadmin 238 Apr 12 19:31 .

drwxrwxr-x 20 fmserver fmsadmin 680 Apr 12 18:55 ..

-rw-rw-r--@ 1 fmserver fmsadmin 6148 Apr 12 20:10 .DS_Store

drwxrwxr-x@ 3 fmserver fmsadmin 102 Apr 12 20:10 Backups

drwxrwxr-x 35 fmserver fmsadmin 1190 Apr 12 19:22 Databases

drwxrwxr-x 2 fmserver fmsadmin 68 Jan 17 04:33 Scripts

I'm open for suggestions. I've uninstalled, rebooted and reinstalled FMS 9.0v3 about 4 times now and I'm having the exact same problem.

And I can't seem to reset another backup location on the hard disk (setting the correct "fmserver/fmsadmin" permissions, too...) And, yes, I'm making sure the trailing "/" is in the path.

This all worked under 10.4.11 (which had started from 9.0v1 updated to 9.0v2 updated to 9.0v3)

I'm thinking that perhaps the 9.0v3 full installer for Leopard isn't really there.

Suggestions?

To add to my own report...

The daily backup script that has the default backup time of 11:00 p.m. *did* run.

There's just no way to edit that script it continues to say the backup directory is not a valid path.

I'm wondering if this might be a Java error or something similar in the way the Admin app works...

May want to -- but not really.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the app again and I'm now having the same problem I did once under 10.4.x -- I can configure the server after installation *until* I restart the computer.

Once I restart the computer, if I log into the admin app, I'm greeted with the fun console dialog box that says:

The Database Server is not available

Admin Consol functionality is limited to FileMaker Server Overview. To use other functionality, please start the Database Server again.

(but -- yes, the server is running and serving up databases and running the backup server script, etc...)

Argh. Previously, this was a problem in 10.4.x because of some issue of the length of the login/password combination (so I had to reduce my login from "administrator" to "admin" to work.

But I'm now using the same combo I was under 10.4.x and am getting this again.

Off to call tech support on Monday again...

Edited by Guest

Remember you can use the Terminal on OS X to start and stop the daemons and to manage the Admin Console's functions. See the PDF that comes with Server. Or, if you can't find the commands, let me know, and I will post them tomorrow when I get back.

Steven

Let me be sure I understand what youa re saying here.

Are you saying that [color:red]after you installed the security update, it worked properly, and that [color:red]before you installed the security update, it did not work?

If so, that's backwards of what usually happens.

Thanks.

Steven

That is correct.

I had a similar issue prior to the update to 10.5 server.

With 10.4.11 -- at one point I was running 9.0v2 server.

I applied the *10.4* version of Security Update 2008-002.

After rebooting, my FileMaker server didn't start. Luckily, the Tiger version of the 9.0v3 updater was available, so I installed that update and it all worked after that.

So, I'm now a little more gun-shy about the security updates these days.

FMS9 v3 OS X.5.2 Intel IMac24

having problems with a local dev FMS9 suddenly, had to reinstall, very flaky admin console, no window but active in dock, app switcher and main menu (occasionally) hangs..., open remote listed.

Getting Java JDK 1.5 hangs, which I beleive is the real culprit.

The Java Cache Viewer that the FM read states to reassign the admin_console_webstart.jnlp to , does not exist (on my system)

Memory may well be wrong but it thinks I did read somewhere in the last couple of weeks of Java and Apple security update 2008-002, I further think I read this in blogs on pending Leopard 10.5.3 update.

So, I'm now a little more gun-shy about the security updates these days.

As well you should, and not just the Security updates that often fix very critical vulnerabilities.

Unfortunately, [color:red]any change to the OS of the server running FIleMaker Server can result in a previously functioning server's having troubles. That's why i was asking about the sequence of events here. It is a dilemma with no good choice in many instances: update the OS and break FMS, or leave the OS alone and keep running FMS.

Steven

As a followup:

Did a clean install of X.5 this am on an external HD partition, updated to X.5.2. Installed FMS9v3, and admin console is ok. Installed Apple Security update 2008-002v1.1, restarted, and FM admin console opens ok.

I have a feeling that it is something to do with the init jnlp files that are created in downloads, this am only two, on other testing I have had multiples added to the desktop.

After restarting to my normal drive, FMS admin can be launched successfully from the install on my normal drive, that would not launch 2 days ago. Today I used: /Library/FileMaker/Server/admin_console_webstart.jnlp

Nothing clear, other than it can run under X.5.2 and SecUpd 002.

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5873 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.