Fit image in Web Viewer

MacB

This topic is 5857 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi there...

I want to use the Web Viewer to point to our images on a shared network volume: it's a lot faster then to work with container fields. I get this to work and the , mostly, hires tiff show up. However, due to their "hires" nature, they are too big to fit in the web viewer window. Is there a way to "make them fit" into the web viewer?

thx.

I have been dealing with this same issue. I don't have a direct answer, but there are two options, both of which involve using thumbnails of the images and loading them into a Web Viewer of the same size:

a) Use a script to create the thumbnails from the original images (which is faster to load but requires ability/knowledge to script the creation of those files and make it happen when you need them, either manually or on a schedule), or

: Have your server generate the thumbnail on the fly using PHP (which will be slower to load with high-res images, but happens automatically).

Right now I'm using the former (via a Mac OS X Automator script) for local-network viewing, where people are more likely to be scrolling through several images at once and don't want to wait 2-3 seconds for each one. The latest thumbnails won't be visible to them until the script runs, but they can still click on the viewer to see the full-size image in their web browser (by setting up the viewer as a "Go to URL" button).

I use the latter for sending plain text e-mails with a link to the thumbnail, where they will only be loading one and might want to see it right away, before the thumbnail files get generated by a script.

If any of this sounds useful to you, I will provide more details.

Edited by Guest

he would have to make a Web page for each one

I don't think that's necessary. You can create a "virtual HTML page" in the web viewer itself, using a calculated data:URL. The calculation can take the path to the actual image from a field and insert in the resulting URL.

Yes, you can point to the image in the URL, but to specify CSS for the image like "style='max-height:90%; max-width:90%; margin:auto;'" you'll need to do that in HTML.

It might be possible using javascript, as with a bookmarklet, but that's more complicated than putting a single PHP page into your image folder.

I don't think my point is getting through: you can specify HTML, CSS, Javascript and just about anything else in a data:URL.

See the attached example (it's possible it won't work on Windows as it is - I have read somewhere IE has a problem with the max-width/height parameters, so it may be necessary to look for a workaround).

ImageResize.fp7.zip

Well really its ie6 that has a problem, but there is a small css hack to get around it if necessary.

[edit]I've added the hacks for IE6 into the original snippet (lines 2 + 3)[/edit]

This topic is 5857 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.