Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Print scale option not showing up

pmconaway

This topic is 1486 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to adjust the print scale on a layout so that I can print more data. I've looked at the Filemaker help and it says.

If you're printing a layout with data that extends beyond the right margin, choose File menu > Print Setup (Windows) or Page Setup (Mac OS), select the horizontal (landscape) orientation, then click OK (if this doesn't provide enough width, try reducing the size of the printed area by typing a value of less than 100% for scaling in the Print Setup dialog box (Windows) or Page Setup dialog box (Mac OS).

I'm on a Windows XP box using FMP 9 advanced. When I open the print setup dialog there is no scale option to adjust. The techs at my office have tried different printer drivers. The two printers that I have available are a HP 4200 and a HP 5550 laser printers. The techs have tried the latest drivers both the PCL version and the Postscript version. And nothing works.

Can anyone tell me why I'm not seeing the scale option in the print setup?

I'm a long time filemaker pro user and developer and this one has me baffled. I can't script the scale change because when I try it brings up the print setup dialog box and it still doesn't have the scale field. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The quote came from the filemake pro help file. ;)

And what I'm trying to say is that the scale option isn't where you said it is. It is missing. Something is/was installed incorrectly or :

I'm looking for suggestions on how to fix this.

Stupid question, do you see scaling options from Word?

Just playing around with my old HP inkjet, FM9A, WinXP, I don't have scaling (bcs my printer driver doesn't support it). However, switching to an AppleLaserWriter driver finds scaling buried deep within the Properties settings for the Printer, starting in the Print Dialog.

You don't have a Page Setup that has this?

You can also set this in the Script Step [color:blue]Print Setup.

2008-05-09_0923.png

Edited by Guest

You're such a Mac guy,!

[color:blue]And that is a Good Thing. ;)

What about the Script Step?

Lee

Edited by Guest

You're such a Mac guy, Lee. It's never that easy on Windows!

Ok I've followed the example and changed the 'actual size' in the printer dialog box. All that seems to do is to reduce the size of the image of the page. It doesn't give me more room to add more fields. I have attached a screen capture of my report showing the page break line. This line doesn't change after I make the change to the 'actual size' what I do see instead is the page now only showing up on 75% of the paper instead of 100% the paper. I've been a long time mac guy and when I changed the page setup on the mac the page break always changed and allowed me to get more information on a page.

I've used FMP on a PC before, and I'm almost sure that there was a scaling option on the front page of the printer setup dialog box.

pagebreak.PNG

I might be wrong but I believe that the scaling feature must be built into the printer PPD/Description files. If the developer of the printer did not add this feature you wont be able to setup scaling.

Is scaling available for this printer in different applications?

I might be wrong but I believe that the scaling feature must be built into the printer PPD/Description files. If the developer of the printer did not add this feature you wont be able to setup scaling.

Is scaling available for this printer in different applications?

Not that I'm aware of. It is a HP 4200 laser printer. I've been able to scale to this printer from the Mac. I can't find similar feature on the PC. Excel has a feature that allows to to fit to a page the worksheet your working on. I'm looking for a similar function in FMP. I thought that the scaling feature was a FMP thing and I "thought" I was able to do this in the past on the PC side but it has been awhile.

Edited by Guest

After seeing your example, I'm not sure what you are trying to do now. It appears that you are trying to print around a design that should be changed. Maybe if we saw the original file, it would be easier me | us to understand what you are trying to accomplish.

What I see, is a need to do a "Developer" thing, and design the layout to fit the "Page Margins" for the printer involved.

HTH

Lee

p.s., feel free to share the file, I would be happy to take a look.

Scaling is a printer driver "thing." Also, FM will not reflect in layout mode any scaling options. You will not see the page margins change so that you can fit more fields given the ultimate print scale. It just reduces everything proportionately.

Scaling is a printer driver "thing." Also, FM will not reflect in layout mode any scaling options. You will not see the page margins change so that you can fit more fields given the ultimate print scale. It just reduces everything proportionately.

Ok I understand but, it doesn't work that way on the Mac. When I reduce the scale, the page break line moves and I then can add more fields to columnar list/report and still be in within the margins. If you see my earlier attachment. I developed this report on a Mac before I got a PC on my desk and all the items were on the left hand side of the page break line. Ok besides changing machines nothing has changed on the layout except for me going into page layout mode. I'm printing to the same printer.

I know I'm missing something here. The responses have been helpful but I feel that I'm not explaining the problem very well.

Edited by Guest

• 7 months later...
  • Newbies

If you go into layout mode and change the margins to "fixed", then things work just fine on Windows. Even Save Records as PDF uses the print scaling settings.

btw - I believe you must be using a postscript driver for this to work. If your printer doesn't support postscript, you can always add an Apple Laserwriter printer driver that outputs to a file (just to make the "printer" available in FileMaker) and then use the Save as PDF function in FileMaker to get a printable document.

Edited by Guest

• 11 years later...
  • Newbies

Same problem here.   4 hp printers connected.  Previously, I could "scale" a document from the print menu.  Now "scale" is missing from that menu.  Tried Printer Properties, advanced, layout.  Not there.  Used that function all the time. Running Windows 1o on  a Dell Inspiron 13  HP printers 3512 Envy 5660,  7510 & 7740.  My friend said she no longer has "scale" option on her printer  HP 3512 Windows 10, Toshiba laptop

This topic is 1486 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.