Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Merging 4 seperate databases in to one

This topic is 5830 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am not sure if this is the right forum, if not could you direct me to the right one, if it is, I have 4 sperate databases that i would like to merge into one with all the layouts. Is there an easy way to do this?

Marilee

Your profile says, FM6, so if you really want to "merge" fm files that represent different tables of a relational database, then the answer is you need to upgrade to FM9.

Will it be easy. Not really. It's typically time to rewrite and if necessary do a data migration.

There is no problem with each table in its own file, it's just that approach while the only way to go pre FM7, is now (imho) reserved for special circumstances. For example, perhaps your developer felt that each file is a module and can stand independently?

With FM9A you will have an easier time consolidating your tables into one file. How will consolidating make your life easier, seriously? Account login management comes to mind...

It is mainly the issue of managment. No one else in the office understands the process... so it would be easier if all were in one. and all imformation was available. So is there an easy way to do this?

You speak with Forked Tongue.

First of all, your profile says 6.

When question about using 9, you say you have 9. Later you say it was designed in 8, and then later yet you state you don't have 9 yet.

I don't know about the others, but I'm confused as to what the files are current in . i.e. version 6 = fp5, or version 8, or 9, = fp7.

Next, if you have version 9, which one. The standard edition, or the Advanced?

It is important we know what the process you want to happen, in order for us to answer with any kind of accuracy.

Lee

Then it should be easy to combine the files into one.

Start by reading the information in the FileMaker Pro Advance Developer Guide page 13.

Lee

When moving from a multi file system to a single multi table system you have to weigh all your options.

Using FM Advanced 8 or Greater, you can copy and paste tables, fields, scripts, layouts, etc.

You will have to reconstruct your relationships.

You will have to reconstruct Value Lists and review your calculations if they pull in related data to make sure the relationships are valid.

Then there is the inevitable script maintenance, to make sure your go to layouts all work as expected etc.

I usually Find that Copying the tables in into a new single file and rebuilding the layouts and scripts is the best way to go to make sure you are taking advantage of the new technology in FM.

Hope this helps....

Justin

[email protected]

This topic is 5830 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.