Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker 9 stability

This topic is 5685 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using 10.5.3, Filemaker 9.0v3, on a MacBook Pro core duo. Has anyone else experienced Filemaker just freezing on you (forever spinning beach ball) and then Filemaker crashes with the typical mac message that Filemaker just crashed, no other program was effected? I am not experiencing the problem when my computer goes to sleep or waking up from sleep. The problem seems to happen randomly, and sometimes when I change from Layout mode to Browse mode. I never had these issues in 10.4. I may switch back to Tiger.

Were you responding to Heathbo?

If so, don't use the Quick Reply, or click on the last Post (mine in this instance), but instead, click on the Reply Button in the Body for the post you want to reply to.

Lee

• 1 month later...

Well, I'm back. I've rebuilt the whole database. Imported all the tables. Recreated all the relationships. Recreated all the value list. Copied all the scripts over. Imported all the data. Copied all the layouts over. I'm still experiencing stalls and crashes. I'm now using Mac OSX 10.5.4. In hopes of helping, I even switched most of my calculations over to stored. I've even increased the cache limit. I've already had to restore this file once. I'm not doing anything fancy. Just adding records. Anybody, any thoughts?

I think I've of come up with the solution to the problem. Storing the calculations and increasing the cache has definitely improved performance. I think the problem is related to the number of daemons I was running the background. I got rid of most of the items in my Login Items and restarted. Not only has FileMaker been running very well, but my computer has also been running faster. Could daemons really cause problems with FileMaker, or is this just a fluke?

Also check your FM plug-ins. Versions that are not compatible with either Leopard or FMP 9.0 could be causing problems like these. Update them all or disable them.

• 2 months later...

Ultimately stability increased by getting rid of tables, calculations, and features that I really don't use, but I thought was cool to have. Extra reports for example. I also got rid of all containers and graphics I created in Photoshop. All graphics are now created in FileMaker. Then I turned this into a 2 file system. GUI and Data files. It seems by doing all of this, not only has it become more stable but also much faster.

This topic is 5685 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.