many files - one sign on?

This topic is 5823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi,

I work on a database that originally was fairly simple but over time has had more and more components added to it. The relationship screen has gotten to the point of incomprehensibility. The solution we have come up with is parsing out various elements of the database into other files and then linking to them.

This has made things easier to keep track of. However, it has created the problem of users having to repeatedly re-enter their userIDs and passwords only to be told that it is incorrect. The problem is that different people need access to different files. What we need is a way where the user can sign on once, and from there he is automatically logged on to the files he should have access to and not logged on to those he shouldn't. Does this make sense? And if so, does anyone have a solution or any ideas? Thanks.

P.S. If I posted in the wrong area I apologize.

As long as the same account (name/password) exists in File A and File B, a user who starts in File A will be able to access File B without being asked to login again. (E.g., displaying a layout in File A with fields from File B, or a script in File A that calls a script in File B.)

However, the privileges assigned to the account in the two files can be completely different.

I don't see any workaround: you'll have to set up the accounts and privileges that make sense for each file.

This is exactly the type situation that External Server authentication was designed to manage. I presume and hope that you are using FileMaker Server.

Simply set up the Groups with their respective Privileges in each file; you can do this down to the table level if there are multiple tables in a file. Then set up the Accounts on FileMaker Server or on your Domain Controller.

The External Server Authentication Tech Brief from FileMaker, Inc. explains the details and processes involved in this.

HTH,

Steven

Thanks for the information. We are indeed using a Filemaker Server. I've skimmed the tech brief (I'll read it more thoroughly later)and it seems that the better option for us would be to have the Filemaker Server do the authentication, since our IT department will only let us in under duress to make changes in groups and such. Does this sound about right?

As the tech Brief will explain you can make local Groups and Accounts on the FileMaker Server machine. Just avoid any naming conflicts with domain Groups.

Or, ask the IT folks tomake an Organizational Unit in the domain for FIleMaker Server use.

Steven

This topic is 5823 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.