Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Timestamp not updating

This topic is 5788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a Timestamp field w/dropdown calendar. When i first make an entry into the field, the date and timestamp are correct. if i update the field, the date will change, but the timestamp will not.

the field is also a button that performs a check then uses the Go to field (samefield) step.

Does anyone know why the timestamp is not updating?

Does anyone know why the timestamp is not updating?

Well, a dropdown calendar, according to the wording in the field setup itself, "displays a monthly calendar so Users can easily choose a date." Users aren't given an option of choosing the time as well, so what time could FileMaker assign? It will leave the time as entered as it should.

If you have ideas on what time should be inserted, you can probably use an Auto-Enter (Replace) on that timestamp field to also change the time (when the date is manually changed) but we need to know where this time would come from.

LaRetta :wink2:

The weird thing, IMHO, is that when the field is empty, choosing any date from the calendar will add the current time to the selected date. After that, changing the date will leave the original time "frozen" - until you clear the field and try again. I would expect ANY selection from the calendar to enter the date alone, with time zero (i.e. the midnight at the start of the selected date).

I wondered about that also, John, but I didn't think that a creation or modification timestamp would need a dropdown calendar. However, manual modification may use dropdown or even script to fill the timestamp in and I didn't think it through that far. Good question!

Indeed very strange, guys. As you say, Michael, it's funny how FM pulls the current time instead of 12:00 AM as timestamps normally fill if you set them via script with a date (or whatever your particular OS dictates). There is something absolutely intriguing about FM's 'unexpected behaviors.' I believe it's because I like to be kept guessing!

As said, deego55, there are ways to set the time as you wish. But if you clear the field, you may/will lose that time and it'll revert to the current time again.

I love odd things ...

LaRetta :wink2:

Edited by Guest
corrected typo

This topic is 5788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.