If/Then layout + [Set] function

This topic is 5801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

[color:red]Can someone help or point me in the right direction?

I'm trying to make a Drop-Down Menu, Check List, Pop-up Menu, etc... that creates a condition for a resulting layout.

For example:

If checked/selected Client, then display "Client" layout.

If checked/selected Prospect, then display "Prospect" layout.

I think it's possible... if it is can anyone point me in the right direction?

If one were to enter info as a Prospect and change it to a Client (later down the road) could I get information to transfer to the Client layout fields or would I have to make a "Lookup Function" or a script?

(I.E. [set Field [Clientes::Companía; Prospectos::Companía]

Thanks, Chris

I know I need to create a conditional function using:

Format --> Condition --> Value is,

But I don't know what scripting I need to do to for the if/then and display

Edited by Guest
grammar, grammar, grammar

Hi Chris,

Set Field [Clientes::Companía; Prospectos::Companía]

Problem ... all PEOPLE should reside within the same table and simply specify as a Client or Prospect in a TYPE field. You can then specify them as Client or Prospect and, when a Prospect becomes a Client there is nothing to change except their TYPE. This is a critical structural requirement for good development; otherwise, you will be moving data back and forth and you will hit many roadblocks.

LaRetta :wink2:

Okay, well if you must go the route of having Clients separate from Prospects... But I again strongly suggest you change directions now while it is easiest; it will only get harder to do as your design grows and time passes.

If checked/selected Client, then display "Client" layout.

If checked/selected Prospect, then display "Prospect" layout.

You must certainly use script to change layouts (and tables/files). And you must certainly use script to move the data from Prospect to Client and then delete the record in Prospect table/file. But how best to handle it would depend upon a bit more information: 1) Are Prospects in a different FILE from Clients? If so, are the data-entry layouts for Prospects in the Prospects file or do you at least have them in the Clients file? Where will the 'checked/selected Client' happen? Is it a field or a button? Simply, everything is possible with FileMaker but we need more information about what you currently have in place before we could suggest the scripting necessary to make it so. Fill in more of the details and we can walk you through whatever you need.

UPDATE: BTW, you have posted in Conditional Formatting. Formatting display at the layout level has Nothing to do with action. Everything you describe means it must be script-handled UNLESS you simply mean displaying the WORD Client or Prospect at the top of the layout. You haven't received responses because of the confusion of your terms and request. :wink2:

LaRetta

Edited by Guest
Added update

Right,

Sorry, I made things a little confusing in my description on my subsequent posts. I'm just trying to display certain things when someone is ticked as a Client vs. Prospect (I.E. Client logo vs. Prospect logo that our company uses)

Initially I wanted to use conditioning to select layouts but I took your advice and failed to clarify my intentions.

I am keeping Clients and Prospects in one layout... BUT

I want to create a Droplist/Checkbox that creates a condition for displaying an object

(If checked/selected Client, then display "Object [Client]")

(If checked/selected Prospect, then display "Object [Prospect]").

The objects are nothing more than a mere logo for a Client vs. Prospect

Edited by Guest
I fail at typing....

You can't use conditional formatting to display two different logos but you CAN use a calculation and a container field (depending again on how you are set up; whether you have an existing preferences table etc.).

Generic answer is ... Have a container field called Logos set to two repetitions (first holding image of Client logo and second holding your company logo for Prospect). Then create new calculation (result is CONTAINER) with:

Case ( ClientField = "Client" ; Logos ; Logos[2] )

... where ClientField holds the word Client or Prospect. Again, without field names or exact description, it is difficult to be precise but are we getting closer? You can change the data in the field any way you wish but, since it should be one or the other, I would suggest creating a value list with these two values only and attach radio button to the field then place the CALCULATION container on the layout and it will change logos depending upon the value you enter in the radio button.

Edited by Guest
Changed calc and sentence for clarity

This topic is 5801 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.