Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How do I list more than one record in a portal?

THX

This topic is 8202 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey Guys, I'm a newbie at this FM stuff, so bear with me.

I have a feeling that the way to go about this is to create a portal, but am not too sure. I have one database which is dedicated to certain assets. It contains two fields called Asset_Number, Asset_Name that I am concerned with. What I want to do is display a list of both Asset_Number, Asset_Name in a portal on the main page, and I do not want to use a list layout because I am going to want to display more data from a different database at a later point. My end result of this portal will be larger than simply just Asset_Name and Asset_Number, but I want to start with fields from the same file before moving on to the second file.

So, how do I get those two fields to display all records rather just than one in that portal? I want all records with information in the Asset_Number and Asset_Name fields to show up in the portal. crazy.gif" border="0

Thanks in advance!

In the asset file you could create a calculated field which checks if the Asset_Number is empty, or not. If the field has an entry the calc field can return the number "1". In the main file you can create another calc field which simply has the number "1" as its value.

Create the relationship with these two fields and create the portal as long as you like, and with scroll-bars.

This will display all records in the portal, which have an Asset_Number entry, no matter which record is current in the main file. I hope this is what you are trying to achieve.

All the best.

Garry

I think that what is called for here is a "self-join". That is you create a relationship with the same file using the Asset_Number field on both sides of the relationship. You can drag the two fields you mention plus any others into the portal. There will be a portal record for every record in the file.

This topic is 8202 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.