Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Renaming a database file

This topic is 5466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am using Filemaker Pro 8 on a PC.

I can't find anything in the Knowledge Base which deals with changing a file name.

I have some database files which have scripts and relationships with one another.

I want to change the name of a couple of the files. Two questions:

--What is the best method for changing an fp7 file name? Should I change it in Windows Explorer or should I change it in Define File References--and if so, how should I change it there?

--What will happen if I change the file name in terms of script references and relationships? Will I lose or have to recreate scripts and relationships?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Mike

First, the best practice is to buy (upgrade, $200) to FileMaker Pro Advanced. It can change the names of all the related files in a multi-file solution in one fast operation, renaming the files, and fixing every place where the File References need changing. That includes relationships, scripts, value lists.

Otherwise you've got to do it manually. Which, if the files are dead simple, is not too hard to do. You have to change the File References (after changing the file names manually). That is what the scripts use. Though I believe some script steps like Import store their own. Value lists may store their own also I can't remember everything about this, 'cause I've had Developer or Advanced for years now.

If your files came from FileMaker 6, it's even more of a mess. Because your File References themselves have all kinds of duplicates and junk in them. Which was hidden from you in 6. If your solution is large and complex, you may need to buy another (expensive) 3rd party tool to fix them, Metadata Magic.

So first step is look at your File References. Remember you must fix or resolve* every single one. If you just delete one, you may break something somewhere.

*By resolve I mean find out all the places (if any) that it has been used. If it's a duplicate File Reference, then assign all those places to a single "chosen" File Reference. Yeah, tedious.

• 9 months later...
  • Newbies

Fenton. Can you please tell me where I find this function in FMP 9 Advanced?

"-It can change the names of all the related files in a multi-file solution in one fast operation, renaming the files, and fixing every place where the File References need changing"

I've tried the developer utility. no dice. Everywhere else I look doesn't seem to offer anything. your help is greatly appreciated.

You're looking in the right place (Developer Utilities). When you have selected your file(s) you can simply enter the new name(s) in the box below and hit the 'Change' button. You will then see the new name listed next to the file in the list above.

Remember to hit the 'Create' button to apply the name changes, and I suggest you specify a different location to avoid accidentally overwriting your original files.

Hope that helps

• Newbies

ok i found that you can just rename the tables and use the developer utility to rename the files. is what remains is the "select window" function inside the scripts. this seems like a bad idea. fixed name schemes like that. i would like to merge all 4 of my databases but that also seems daunting unless i'm will to buy fmpro migrator. is there any other solutions for this?

thanks

jim

Yes, the Select Window ["file name"] is a problem. It is caused by the conversion process, and the fact that the "window name" ("file name" is used in this case) is a text value. When converting multiple files FileMaker is still only doing one a time. So it puts the Select Window step into the file it is converting. It works, and it is necessary.

But a much better method is to go to the files' scripts which require this (i.e., are being called by other files' scripts, to show a window),* and put the Select Window [ current window ] into them. For example, a List View script:

Go To Layout [ List View]

Select Window [ current window ]

It causes no harm if you're already IN a window of the file, and allows any script calling List View as an external script to work. The Select Window ["file name"] can then be removed from the calling script (in the other file).

It helps to have some sort of utility which analyzes FileMaker files, so you can do a search for the scripts that have this. Or print the script to PDF and search them.

* P.S. Sometimes (often) FileMaker will put a Select Window [ "window name" ] step where it is not needed, where you do not really need/want the other file to bring a window to the front. It is certainly not necessary if you're just going there to do some processing, then return. It is definitely not needed if you're merging multiple files into one (unless you're creating new windows, but that's your new work).

Edited by Guest

This topic is 5466 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.