Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Help with Simple Chart plugin

This topic is 5732 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi

I am a complete newbie to data bases in general.

I've made a very small & simple file to collect some results from electrical tests. It is a record of equipment maintenance with a few fields to store PCB card number, location, condition etc. I have a second table containing fields to store the electrical test results. It holds the date of testing, card number (related to the card number in the first table) then four fields labelled 300mV, 5V, 7V & 10V (These are the four tests performed on the card) The data in these fields is the resulting output voltage of the PCB. One new record is created each time a PCB is tested.

I wish to plot these results in a basic line graph. I want the x axis to show the 300mV, 5V, 7V & 10V and the y axis to show the corresponding output result.

I am struggling as (I think) I effectively want the record to be the data series with which to plot the graph, using the value of four fields - one to plot each point on the graph. It seems, however I try and configure the simple chart plugin it need it's data series to come from one field, using a range of found records to get the points to plot. Is this right, or can I achieve what I want?

Some pointers to some very simple instructions or alternate methods/approaches would be great.

Many thanks in advance, Stephen.

I've probably not explained very well, so please ask if you need more detail...

I guess it comes down to how far you want to got with charting in FM. xmChart is a great product I've used for years, but perhaps a bit daunting for beginners, but then again once you pick it up its a fantastic addition to FM. If you want only one line chart, and have an integrated spreadsheet program with graphing, perhaps then export to that program and do it there. But you cant go wrong with xmChart, you might try their demo.

• Newbies

Rod

many thanks for the prompt reply. In answer to your question, probably not very far - for now at least, this has caused me enough head scratching!

As it happens I downloaded xmChart 3.3.2 first, but seeing the price of the licence made me look again before I even installed it - thinking if something cheaper does the job...? I have to say I quite like SimpleChart, & I feel I've done ok to get any graph at all as the instructions are quite limited and obviously presume a fair amount of knowledge/experience already. For example it took me over half an hour to work out that you set the options using a container field set as a calculation. I'm slightly embarrassed for myself stating that - but I cannot stress enough that, my enthusiasm is not matched by my knowledge!!

Do you think SimpleChart can do what I want - do I simply need to use xm instead, or is my structure just not going to cut it with any graphing plugin?

Many thanks for you time, Stephen.

Well I've never used any other chart program, so I'll leave that up to others to respond to. I don't think the structure of your Db will be of significant consequence. I got hooked on xmChart a long time ago when I realized it's flexibility after testing it for a while and never looked back.

This doesn't address SimpleChart. But the graph you want is only four points. Note that if a bar graph would be suitable, one can be made easily with a calculation field.

Let (

a = "llllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll" ;

Left ( a ; 300mV ) &¶&

Left ( a ; 5V ) &¶&

Left ( a ; 7V ) &¶&

Left ( a ; 10V ) )

Depending on font, a lower "L", or any character, can be used, field can be rotated, and about 3 or 4 stacked should make bars solid.

Among variations: Multiple bar graphs can be stacked, a chart can be made of multiple records.

A point chart can be made using spaces &"•".

A curve can be made by tightly spacing many points.

A line graph can be made by adding formulas between your results that break the difference into equal parts. You'd need lots to make the line smooth.

I've not done this one myself, but one calculation is cheaper than a plugin.

Of course how this displays depends on the font so you want to be careful if it goes on different computers.

This topic is 5732 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.