How to disable the mouse-wheel scrolling

This topic is 7446 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

As by topic,

is possibile to disable the scrolling of a mouse-wheel in FileMaker5 to prevent that user change the record currently active?

For me, it's important because in form view there are various buttons that perform various script/action and if the user change the record unawares....

Thanks in advance.

• Newbies

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

Depending upon the mouse, some mouse utilities allow the mouse to be programmed for different actions based upon the current application. I'd look into this approach. If you have no control over the setup of the computer, oh well...-bd

Mmm, if you found some name of this mouse utilities that function on all wheel-mouse i'll appreciate.

But, if you found some plug-in for FM will be better because unfortunately i have no control over setup of computer.

Thanks.

With all due respect to your credentials Captain (and I sincerely mean that) I have done this twice...today...on two different Windows machines (Dell P-400 Win 98 with a MS Mouse at the office and a Dell P-550 Win 98SE with a Logitech Mouse at home) and it does in fact, work.

I don't know all the tech reasons why it doesn't work, but I do know that it does work on both my computers running various solutions. I can not scroll through the records using the wheel with the Status Area hidden and locked and I am able to scroll through them with the Status Area Shown and Unlocked. :??

Gary

quote:

Originally posted by garhop:

Alesc,

I did what you want to do in Win 98 via scripting. The mouse is MS. Don't know if it works with all mice. Please let us know.

Hide Status Area/Lock

The default action for the wheel is to scroll. In Filemaker this equates to changing records. This is a function of Browsing the database. You cannot turn off browsing.

Your only options are to disable the scrolling ability of the wheel mouse or more crefully control the record position in FMP. Either limiting your found set, making it more obvious what record is currently displayed, omiting all but the current record or simply training the user as to what happens when they scroll.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• 3 years later...

This topic is 7446 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.