Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Opening a password protected db at startup?

kevinpd

This topic is 8598 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Is there a way for a client copy of Filemaker 5 to open a password protected database from Filemaker Server 5? I looked at the open file script step but there doesn't appear to be a way to include the appropriate password. I would like for several remote databases to be opened each time Filemaker is launched.

Any help would be much appreciated

two possibilites. . .

1.Under Edit / Pref. / Document choose the option "Try Password on Open" and type in the respective password. Now everytime that the database is opened it will open right away with that password (hold opt on mac; alt or cntl(:) on PC to enter different password when opening file)

2. If the password for the first file is a valid password for all the rest of the files, then they will open with that password without a dialog.

this work for ya?

jeremy

[This message has been edited by yafreax (edited February 15, 2001).]

If you are using different passwords to provide different access or actions, set each password in a different Group. You can then use Status[CurrentGroup] to do what you want. Any password entered (even none) when opening files will be passed to all files being opened in a script or relationship.

• Newbies

I have tried this approach but it's a little problematic since the default password is applied to the entire database so that other users will use that same default password unless they learn the option-open trick. This creates some extra steps especially if a user's database relates back to the database with the default password.

I still may go with the default password solution but was hoping there was another way to do it via a script step or something.

This topic is 8598 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.