Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Unable to open file

This topic is 5708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We have a v5.5 server and had to go to our backups due to errors in data input. When we went to open the back up versions we noticed the dates were a couple of months old and when we tried opening the files we get the error message "Error occurred unable to open file".

The files are set to multi-user and we were able to open them locally. We have tried a recovered version and a copy of version and the same thing occurs.

[color:brown]I've encountered all sorts of problems on old 5.x and 6.x servers through the years -- what you're seeing could be caused by so many different things! But I'll try for you, & throw a few guesses out there.

Because it can be opened locally, my first thought is that it's either a network connectivity or user rights issue. Yet the fact that the server hasn't completed a backup for awhile leads me to believe that it may be in need of a reboot, software reinstall, or replacement -- you could start with restarting it (AFTER you back up what's on it). Personally, I wouldn't just restart the server's software -- I'd restart it physically as well, because it sounds like the machine hasn't been restarted for quite a while.

Otherwise, the files could have a little corruption, the server might have had some corruption on its hard disk or its software, or maybe it's something else! But I'd start with backing up the files, restarting the server, making sure that the network connectivity is good, and that users attempting to access it have rights to both the server and the files.

If that doesn't work, you could try disabling the startup script temporarily. And if that doesn't work, perhaps putting it on another machine and trying to host it peer-to-peer to see if the files themselves and the multi-user setttings are good.

Otherwise, if you get through all of that and are still getting errors, write them down and post them on the forum -- I'm sure someone else will have a few good suggestions.

:bang:

This topic is 5708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.