Server Maintenance This Week. ×

disable output escaping XML entities

Berri

This topic is 5703 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'd like to store some parts of XML documents in text fields, then combine them and extract them via XSLT acces with a stylesheet.

My problem is, FileMaker is transforming each entity in the output (< to '<'). So I do not have any XML more in the output, but text. Is it there a way to manage that in the export params?

Of course, I can use an XSLT stylesheet to have the right output, but then I need a second stylesheet to produce the HTML output I'd like to have. Is it there a way to reparse the output in the same stylesheet?

Sorry fot this very basic question (I'm new in XSLT), but if someone could help me... :P

Edited by Guest

Your question is not quite clear. What format are you using for the export? When you export as XML, Filemaker does NOT change < to "<". It changes it to & lt; (without the space). If you are sure that's what you want to do, you can use disable-output-escaping in your XSLT stylesheet to prevent this. I'd be very reluctant to do this, because any mistake in the data will mess up the markup. It's best to keep pure data in the fields, and do ALL the markup during the export.

Is it there a way to reparse the output in the same stylesheet?

I am not sure what you are asking here. It's not possible to produce multiple output documents in a single export. However, you can have many stylesheets and script the exporting, so that a single script generates many documents, each using its own stylesheet.

• Newbies

Thank you for your answer. In fact, I'm storing TEI-texts in the FileMaker database and I use these texts in different collections, where the header changes but not the body. The body is in any case valid.

I already did for myself what you suggest in the first part of your answer, using disable-output-escaping in the XSLT stylesheet. The output of the fmrs:data element has then the '<' entities but I have then to use a second XSLT stylesheet to produce HTML out of these data before sending them to the web server (and to my browser). But I do not know how. I would like to have the two XSLT stylesheets applied in FileMakerServer before sending the result to the Web Server, or to have only one stylesheet, doing all the work at once, transforming & lt; to <, and then transforming all the elements now available inside fmrs:data in html. But it seems to me that does not work.

I don't know if what I mean is understandable ? (I'm French speeking)

:P

I thought your question was about exporting - now it seems you are speaking of Web publishing? I'm afraid I don't know much about that.

Still, I believe it's possible to do what you want by first placing the escaped output in a variable, then using the extension function node-set() to convert the variable into a node set that can be further processed by X-Path. See an example here:

http://xml.apache.org/xalan-c/extensionslib.html#ex-nodeset

This topic is 5703 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.