Warning 661

This topic is 4699 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I received the following Server warning this morning:

2008-09-30 09:46:48.930 -0600 Warning 661 Art FM Server Client "Studio" authentication failed on database "art inventory.fp7" using "Tommie [fmapp]".

Can someone tell me what this means in the real world? Is the file art inventory.fp7 corrupt or are there other things that would fail authentication?

Are you using a thin client such as Citrix?

End users with external authentication logging on through Citrix will produce this error each time.

Nope. No Citrix. No external authentication. This is FMS9 running on a Mac mini (I know, I know). And it's happening with every user logon.

Is this the error I'd get with a corrupt file? That's my main concern. But I would think I'd get the error when Server opens the file, not a client.

How about an opener file? This can log it as well.

Also what kind of security do you have on the files? Are you using the Admin account? Do any of the files (including an opener) have a default account they log in with?

If your users are getting in properly, I wouldnt worry too much about it. This error can get generated a few different ways but not usually due to any kind of corruption.

Edited by Guest

Yes, we are using an opener. I'll try direct to the server instead.

I'm not at the machine at the moment, but the user doesn't have Admin privileges on the main file. I'm not sure about the opener file though. I think, and I'll double check, that it's set up to Admin privileges, open automatically, then it runs a script to open the main file, which requests a username and password.

Is there a "Standard Protocol" for giving users access to a served file on an intranet?

Thanks for the tips and the reassurance. It's my first time running Server for someone and I'm learning a lot.

I just found this on the FMI website that was NOT there a few months ago when these errors were bothering the heck out of me.

Error 661

It provides a little more information. It makes sense why this would happen on using an opener file that might have Admin rights or without the matching account / privs in the other files. This should be an issue with seperation model files as well... Well not really an issue but an annoyance. :P

Anyway, again the error is not something I would really worry about too much. :

Edited by Guest

• 2 years later...

Hi I found out exactly why this error happens.

My Filemaker solution has 5 files. Whenever I try to log into one of the files I got a "teacup" for a short moment and then such an Error 661 email was generated and then I got into the file anyways.

I am a user in a group and in the Security part of the Filemaker file I have a group on my domainname server that I authenticate against.

But..it never does this first. What it does first is what it says in "File->File Options" Menu. In there, I had a tick on "use this account to log in" and the login name was set to Admin and the password was set to blank. These were incorrect credentials. So heres what was happenning:

- FM tried to use the incorrect credentials of the file as specified in "File Options" itself and they didnt work.

- This generated the error and the email.

- THEN it wen on to test for my credentials in the Security Tab (against the domain name server etc etc etc).

After removing the rubbish in the "File Options" part, leaving the name and password BLANK and removing the tick beside it and clicking OK, this entirely solved the problem.

No more emails, and login is lightening fast now, no more teacups.

Earl Grey anyone?

With much love

Spongebob

This topic is 4699 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.