FilePro 5.0 & Access (relating)

This topic is 8540 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm having an awful time relating, and correlating the way that FileMaker Pro5.0, functions and it's terms compared to Access which is the Program I used for a database!

Is it me or is it really minus some of the abilities of Access. I keep trying but, I am having an awful time understanding FileMaker Pros functions, and how they will work for me!

If anybody knows both programs well, I could use help in a big way!

First of all, my basic recommendation is to forget Access while working with FileMaker. The terminology is quite different, as is the root setup.

FileMaker started life as a user-friendly flatfile database program and grew into the powerful (but still user-friendly ... honest!) relational database package it is today. Access, on the other hand, grew out of Microsoft Excel's database capabilities, and grew through MS's usual bloatware standard.

The folks in this forum are extremely capable and tremendously helpful in solving specific problems. When you have a specific question, feel free to ask. Meanwhile, remember that while a horse and a bicycle can both get you where you're going, bike riders can't just hop on a horse and start pedaling.

I found it very usefull to purchase some books on FM.

Try Filemaker Pro 5 Bible by Steven Schwartz

(if you're using version 5...) From beginner to experienced.

You'll get hooked on the thing

------------------

Yeti

I'm going through the same problem. While Access is M$ and comes with all the headaches we all know about, it is just so powerfull in terms of coding and scripting (hence why its likely so bloated...heh).

If your like me and trying to use FileMaker Pro 5, you might try the Developer edition, it seems like it more coding in it. FMP5 has this silly script maker that is far too "User Friendly" for me... (read: simple). I have yet to try the Developer Edition, hope to soon.

If you have any luck with the Developer ed or find a way to script the death out of FMP5, please post a response on your findings compared to the Access way of doing things.

FM Developer has the same scripting environment as FM. You are confusing the simple UI of ScriptMaker with a lack of power. I think you have to get past the "real programmers must write code" feeling at take a look at what you can really do in FM. In FM you don't have to drop into VB to do anything useful.

-bd

quote:

Originally posted by LiveOak:

FM Developer has the same scripting environment as FM. You are confusing the simple UI of ScriptMaker with a lack of power. I think you have to get past the "real programmers must write code" feeling at take a look at what you can really do in FM. In FM you don't have to drop into VB to do anything useful.

This is correct 100%. I have said it before and I will say it again, there is nothing you can do in Access (or Paradox or SQL or dBase, etc) that you cannot do in Filemaker. The paradigm is just different.

I have done programming in all of those languages/systems so I know that of which I speak.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Well Kurt, read my previous thread about how to dynamically display a picture in browse mode using only a file and path reference in the database. All the reponses I got were "its not possible in FMP5". Sure you can kludge around it using AppleScript or possibly a plugin, but the native scripting does not appear to have a method.

Please, by all means, if you know of a native trick to do what I am trying to achieve, please fire away! I'm dying to drop Access and move to Filemaker and can certainly learn new methods and interfaces but for my current application of the price book I'm kinda stuck.

I may still just write a simple applescript and ensure that I run it EACH time i open my database to ensure all the references in the container fields are updated.

Hopefully FMP6, if its coming one day, will address issues like mine.

On a side note, if you know of a freeware plugin that will do the trick, I'm willing to give that a try now.

Thanks

Tim

This topic is 8540 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.