Problems with Priviledges

Herb

This topic is 5687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

How are you using them? If they are used in a calculation field, the field must be set to "unstored" to make it re-calculate.

Looking at your attached images, I'm not sure what the extended privileges you have created are supposed to do.

FileMaker Pro help says this about extended privileges:

FileMaker as well as third-party developers may provide additional software products designed to work with FileMaker Pro and FileMaker Server. A product like this may require you to add a new extended privilege if you want to control who can access a database file with the additional product.

If you want to restrict a user from editing a table, you set up a new privilege set (as opposed to an extended privilege) that limits the access to the table.

Thanks for your ideas. My intention was to capture the users intent to open a particular screen and stop it with a custom error message. That is why I was attempting to use a Get function in the button script. Thanks for your help.

You're on the right track... just the wrong implementation.

Forget the extended privileges. delete the one you've added.

Create a new privilege set. Associate the user with the new privilege set. You can even set up the privilege set to not allow the layouts to be viewed, but it looks ugly.

Instead, script the navigation. In the script have a conditional that does the check with Get( privilegeSetName )...

If [ Get( PrivilegeSetName ) = "NewPrivilegeSet" ]

Beep

Show Message [ You cannot view this screen." ]

Else

Go to Layout [ special layout ]

End If

This topic is 5687 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.