Server Maintenance This Week. ×

renaming a FM 9 Server

This topic is 5651 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Does anyone have any experience with renaming the servername that FM 9 Server resides on? We are putting in a new server and I wanted to get everything installed and ready before turning off the old server (rbcFM). I wanted to call it OldServername2 (rbcfm2) so I can have both on the domain to allow me to copy the data off the old server to the new. I would then take old server offline and rename the new server (rbcfm2) to the old server name (rbcfm).

I didn't know how well FM 9 server would react to the renaming of the server.

Thanks,

John

If you haven't got 2 FMS licenses then your plan is flawed as you cannot run 2 instances of the same FMS license in the same network.

You could install whilst in a different sub-net, but you might have problems with your internet router to get the latest updates.

You can essentially name the server whatever you want to name it. This is done in the Admin Console. Just be sure not to confuse your users with names that are too similar or not understandable.

Do not be renaming files however unles you use the Developer Utility tools.

Steven

HI Steven,

I may not have explained myself well. I realize that I can name the server whatever.

I just need to know how well filemaker server 9 handles the server it is hosted on, being renamed. Ultimately I want to end up with the same server name just on the new hardware.

Thanks!

John

You can rename the box if you want for the DNS. Just keep in mind that if you are have files (such as opening scripts) that reference it byt the name or IP and that IP or name changes you will have to update those files to reflect the change.

This topic is 5651 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.