Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can tabs be used to navigate to multiple filemaker databases

This topic is 5620 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am learning Filemaker 9. I have created a layout with multiple tabs that open each layout in the open database. Can a tab or other control (button) be created to open another filemaker 9 database? I have created 5 separate databases and it would be convenient to be able to "jump" back and forth from one to another directly from any open layout.

• 2 weeks later...

1 possibility.......

Create an invisible button and move/place it over the tab in layout view.

When you create a button it will pop up and ask you what it's suppose to do. Select Preform Script under the Control section and choose the script that takes you to the desired database.

Cabinetman, placing an invisible button over a tab doesn't work very well ... the first click will change the tab and the button will be ignored.

Can a tab or other control (button) be created [color:red]to open another filemaker 9 database? I have created 5 separate databases and it would be convenient to be able to "jump" back and forth from one to another directly from any open layout.

rlake, it sounds like you have 5 separate files! Since vs. 7, you can have one file and that file can contain multiple tables (what used to be called databases) within that one file. It makes design and scripting much simpler because you would be jumping between layouts (within the same file) instead of jumping back and forth between FILES.

LaRetta :wink2:

OOooopppppssss.... sort of.

I forgot about that and that I ended up making a dummy tab - formatted as a button - to get around this.

In my case I've used FMP since V3 and since I already have intricate files, scripts, etc. I felt it was easier short term to leave the files separate.

Nah, there is nothing wrong with using different files; in fact I prefer at least two (one for UI and one for data). :wink2:

But rlake rated themselves as novice and they are coming from vs. 5 so it is understandable that they may not know about tables within files. Migrating a solution from 5 to 7 would indeed require leaving them as separate files but that totally ignores the power of the current FM version. In truth, I would never migrate a design across that gap; much easier to design afresh. Migration creates its own set of issues which take more time to work through than a complete redesign. And taking advantage of vs. 9's enhancements makes designing faster, easier and more efficient.

I'm hoping rlake is starting from scratch on the new solution. :beertime:

This topic is 5620 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.