Server Maintenance This Week. ×

relationship between tables

This topic is 5626 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have become the defacto IT guy at our non-profit organization, so I am learning FM as I go. Forgive me if my problem is rudimentary, it has caused me a lot of stress before I remembered how great the internet can be.

Background: I have a database with a table with detailed demographics on about 6500 people. I also have a table where an intern will be typing in attendance data that we need to collect. The forms in the attendance table are organized by date and group (we have several groups on some nights). Within each form are about 10-20 entries consisting of last name/first name, and then some relevant information from their demographics (same type of info for each person).

Problem: When someone types in a name in the attendance table, I want it to auto-populate 2-4 other related fields next to it, the problem is it populates every auto-fill style field on the page (instead of only the ones next to the name).

Question: Is there a better way to do organize this information? How do I prevent this problem from occurring?

If you need anymore information let me know

Thank you FMForums members.

Welcome to the Forum. Can you tell us how you have set your relationships? If all the fields are part of the child table then when you type in the name the other fields will populate. This may be a structural problem or a relationship problem. Would suggest you post a clone of your database.

File->Save Copy as->clone

If you can fill a few records with bogus data that would even be more helpful.

hth

This topic is 5626 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.