Missing ESS DSN list

This topic is 5392 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

I want to link my FM solution directly go some of the other SQL Server databases in our systems.

(Currently we do ODBC imports)

I am using FM Server 9 Adv and FM pro 9 adv on my client (v1 - just about to upgrade to v3)

I go into File/Manage/External data sources...

I click on "new"

Type in a name and select the radio check box for ODBC

Then click on "specify" - ie next to dsn box -

AND the select odbc data source list is empty.

I have set up a data source to one of the sql dbs on the server hosting the Filemaker databases (and on my client)

What have I missed out?

Many thanks

Simon

Hi LaRetta,

Sorry for delay in replying...

They were system dsn's - the answer was a little more "opaque" - but fwiw - and in relation to windows server products:

One of our developers had put a test db onto a Windows Server 2008 box - then created new system dsn's - unaware of 32 bit nature of FM at this time.

The test db seemed to work - but the dsn's were 64 bit which are not recognised by FM (obviously) hence the empty list.

Once the dsn's were set up as 32 bit, they did appear in the list, but given the fact that Windows Server 2008 is not (yet) supported we will not be using this as a production server

Interestingly, everything else seemed to work fine - but that's not enough for me to use it in a production environment.

• 5 months later...

I'm having the same problem, but I still can't get the DSN to show up on the list.

We're using SQL 2008, so I downloaded the X86 driver from MS. I set up the DSN (under system DSN), and the connection works when I test it.

Even the 32 bit driver still does not show up. I can't imagine it would require a system reboot (which I can't do anyway as the only 32bit computer I have is our terminal server)?

Also, am I to understand that since our SQL server is running on Server 2008 it won't work anyway? What should that matter? Filemaker is a great product but come on already.

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is 5392 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.