Copyright or not to copyright

This topic is 5549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Copyright is valuable to prove ownership in the case of any future disputes. Checking out the gov's website, the material to be copyrighted needs to be sent in on disc (my solution) and any required software (filemaker) needs to be submitted as well, OR as per their fact sheets, "the first and last 25 pages of the programing. Has anyone done this?

Should I take screen shots?, submit the BaseElements analysis print out?, print out the scripts?, field names directly from FM or other material? For $35.00 I guess it's worth the effort.

Thanks for any input.

I had a solution copyrighted in 2006. I had to send in 25 pages of script or code which had to consist of the first and last page and a copy of the copyright page and a CD of the solution. Since mine was done in FM advance I just send in a execuable copy and did not have to send FM.

Keep a copy of everything send in including a copy of the CD for future reference.

If in the future to plan to sell your solution then I would copyright it for some protection.

Lionel

Edited by Guest

For the average small time guy this is a waste of time, as your ability to defend this claim is only as good as how much money you are willing to put out to defend it. Same holds true with patents. Just having a registered claim in any form gives you no guarantee that it will not be infringed, its only your financial ability to defend it that will protect your idea. If your idea is drawing in enough income to justify the fees for defense then go ahead, but otherwise not worth the money to register it.

I have a friend that has a couple patent that were infringe on and he was just a average joe but a simple letter written by his lawyer to the person or persons put a halt to the infringement. It does not always tske alot of money to protect a patent or a copyright because most of the time it the average joe doing the infringing.

Lionel

This topic is 5549 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.